Taking Apart an Already built dollhouse

Wildfordollys

Hi,

My name is Kathryn, and I am new to miniatures and dollhouses. I purchased an already built house at an antique store 2 years ago, and I am just now getting down to fixing it up. I have recently idenitifed it as a DuraCraft Newberg; It is already assembled. Whoever built it did a nice enough job, but I want to change several things about it. I want to take out the staircase that is already in it and put in an upgraded staircase in a different location than where it is currently. I would like to have the staircase visible from the front door entry (so you can see the stairs from the front door going up, if you know what I mean). I would also like to make some modifications to the front porch, maybe taking off some of the posts in the front part of the porch and taking off some of the stairs and railings on the stairs to make a shorter entry staircase, perhaps moving a wall on the first floor, and changing out the windows. I guess I want to know "how do you remove/take down walls and remove already put together parts of an already built dollhouse?" My husband will be helping me with this project, but he doesn't know where to begin in disassembling the parts of it I want to change. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? Any knowledge anyone wants to share with me would be appreciated!

Wow! That's a pretty ambitious project for someone "new to minitures"! I've been doing this for a while and would be cautious about trying such an undertaking. Having said that if that's what you really want to do my best advice is take your time, plan ahead, take pictures before you start and be prepared to repair any "collateral damage" that is sure to occur as you proceed. Easiest way is to take it apart if you can so you can get to the pieces you want to madify (actually spelled just the way I meant!). If it's put together with "hot glue" use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue and gently seperate the parts. If wood glue was used be prepared to break things. The wood glue bond, if done properly, is stronger than the surrounding wood! Now, having said all that depending on your financial abilities, it would be eaiser to buy a house that has not been put together and start from scratch. Don't want to discourage you but just want to let you know what you are getting into. We are all here to help so feel free to ask any questions. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress (photos would be nice). Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Perry,

Thank you for responding to my question about taking apart an already built dollhouse. My husband had suspected it was the type of glue that could be undone with a heat gun, but we are not sure yet. I am willing to do work to the house; I think it will be worth it. Have you heard of anyone removing the exisisting staircase and putting in a new one in a different location? For some reason, I am obsessed with moving it so that it will be visible when you open the front door and can see the steps.. We used to live in a colonial house in Beverly, MA before we moved out here to San Diego, CA, and I liked the way you could see our staircase from the front door--I am trying to recreate that look. I will be glad when this is done, and then I can buy a new kit and put it together the way I want it!!!

Sure, folks are always madifing dollhouses to suit their needs, it even has a name, bashing! There are several folks on here that have changed stairs, moved walls, cut houses in two, etc. If you can think of it someone here has probably done it. It is a time consuming and patience trying undertaking so don't get flustered and take your time. I would suggest you go to the gallery section and just browse around and you will see all kinds of things being done and you may pick up a few ideas. I'm sure others will chime in on this in the following days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you, DocGreen. I did just now put "Newberg" in the search, and it pulled up some that people have rehabbed. I guess my main concern is not wrecking the house when I am trying to rehab it--breaking it when taking out and moving staricase, taking out the windows and replacing them. I also want to replace the front door. I am going to have to rearrange a wall or two, especially on the first floor. In dollhouses,do you have to worry about walls being moved that act as support for other parts of the house, like you do in a real house?

As a rule the walls are decorative more than supportive. The only downside is if you have a long unsupported floor it may sag over time. This can be prevented by putting a small re-enforcing support along the open side of the DH. Most DHs have this in some form or other anyway. If you don't break something along the way you ain't doing it right! You just go with the flow and repair it. Trim, baseboards, crown molding, wallpaper, etc coveres up all kinda mistakes! Don't ask me how I know!

Welcome! Is the house already wallpapered, floored, electrified, etc.? You usually don't have to worry about walls acting as support beams like in real houses, but I still wouldn't suggest removing too many especially if you're going to add heavy flooring and/or furntiure.

Welcome to the little family, Kathryn! I have a Newberg NIB (I have several kits NIB...) so I'll be interested to see when you post pictures (which you can do ASA you make five posts). Replacement doors are easy to make, working windows take lots of patience and I recommend a gluing jig if you go that route. Believe it about the wood glue bonds, I had to repair some "oopsies" to a DC Cambridge that I built and the upside is that you can make repairs with wood glue that will be as strong as your original build.

I like a good wood glue that takes a few minutes to get sticky, so I can play with it to get a good bond. Less is more. Elmer's (Borden) makes some good wood glues. I use clear-drying white tacky glue for the window and door inserts.

I am a HUGE fan of the dry fit, because I can see what areas I will have to decorate before assembly (paint, wallpaper, whatever) and where I can wait until after the build.

Look forward to pictures of you rehab! When building a house, there are some areas I decorate before putting together and others I will do after construction. For me, the rooms I want to wallpaper look better if I do it after building. Painted rooms look better if I paint before the build. Ceilings I finish before building. Any hard to reach area is done before building. When you go on to building your next house,remember Holly's advise about the dry fit. You also learn about any possible problems with the construction.

If you're not electrifying the house, I would wallpaper before construction, but I almost always do it after construction even though it's a little more difficult that way. Before fully constructing, you might want to make some templates of the walls to make it a little easier to wallpaper.

Personally I've found that the most learning I've done with this hobby is through trial-and-error...lots of error. As for supplies, the ones I use the most are definitely glue (mostly wood and tacky), Exacto knives, and paint.

I tend to wallpaper after assembly too, but I'm getting better at doing this "during" assembly, though have not yet mastered doing it "before" assembly. I have a hard time deciding what I want to do with the house (and figuring out what it wants) before assembly, so do lots of dry fitting. I also build some parts separately so that I can finish them before attaching them to the main structure. The entire porch assembly (plus roof) was almost the last thing attached to my Diana (see gallery) so that I could finish the front of the house without being hindered by the fret work.