Holiday Houses

Deb

Hi all!

I've noticed quite a few people mentioning lately that they're going to be building Holiday/Santa/Christmas houses and thought I'd start a thread where we can post pictures and share ideas about them. Sound like a good idea? If they're all in one thread, it will be easier for people to locate when they're looking for ideas or need a holiday eye candy fix.

Of course, when we're building a holiday project, we start early so it will be completed in time for the holidays, so now seemed like a good time to begin. I finished a Primrose this week so I can start the ball rolling with this holiday thread. When I started on the landscaping, it occured to me that since I had no clue what I was doing, it might help to document it as I went along. Since it came out looking like snow, I decided to blog the process. :lol: My snowy landcape tutorial is blogged here if you'd like to see how it was done.

Here's a couple of pictures of my Holiday Primrose with a traditional Santa's workshop/wooden toy theme.

Deb

Thanks so much for the photos, and for starting this thread. Once I finish my kids' two Primroses and my Orchid I will begin my holiday house. I am torn between using the Aster Cottage and the Sugarplum. I've also been debating whether to make it a Santa's House, or a family's house on Christmas morning. I like the idea of both and just can't make up my mind. However the Aster Cottage has that high wall where the second floor is open, and I can just see a big "Naughty/Nice" scroll hanging on the wall in that open space!

. . now I know why you were sniffing glue the other night!! :lol:

:D Well, not voluntarily. I had the window open, but forgot to turn on the fan. That's why I put that warning in the tutorial. :lol:

Can you put pictures of your Forestgate Cottage in this thread Teresa? It's one of the best-est holiday houses I've ever seen.

Deb

Now that is cute! Think a thread showing everyone's holidays scenes is a great idea. Love looking at the Santa/Christmas/Holiday houses, but I don't do them myself. Now my sister really loves Christmas scenes and she's done several so I'm going to forward the link to your tutorial to her. She'll be gaga over it. :lol:

I'm not even sure WHY I want to do a holiday house. We don't even normally put up a Christmas tree or otherwise decorate for the holidays, and we don't do "Santa" with our kids, yet I love the idea of making a Santa's workshop or something like that.

Now I used to do the whole shebang -- trees, wreaths, little porcelain villages, mistletoe, nativity scenes. Mom still does all that stuff, as does my sister. Not me -- only if the grandson is going to be on the premises do I even put up a tree and then it's a table-top LED number :lol: Just don't like all the after-holiday cleanup. We do put out some cool white deer in the front and door wreaths, but not much else.

Now, Thanksgiving I love -- all anybody expects from me for Thanksgiving is food and that I can handle (and compared to Christmas decorations the cleanup is a breeze :lol: )

Love this thread as I am about to finish my own Santa's cottageI am turning the Aster into. Most of it is "done" now I only need to pull it together, ie the accessories and thing slike that. YOu know :lol: the little things....

I will keep that snow tutorial as areference when I get to that, the roof is primed and has one coat ofpaint on it so far, and I will need to tend to the white fnecing on the exteror, otherwise, hmmm I am making an embroidered carpet that will go into the Santa's house as well so that will keep me busy as it is plenty of stitches left to do, but have atleast started it. Now to find that perfect kitchen sofa.... :lol:

Hugs

I did my Santa Cottage last year so I probably won't make another one this year - though I may add some to mine. In full size though we go all out every year. As far as I'm concerned there is a Santa and no one can tell me otherwise :lol: The only down part is after seeing everyone elses yard decorations the boy decided WE Need yard decorations heheh So hopefully I'll have the yard in enough shape by December to go all out with the reindeer and inflatable snow man etc. I would like to try finishing my Grinch doll though if I ever get round to finding what I did with that green hair I had.

-David

Anna, I can't wait to see your Aster. I'm leaning towards doing the Aster as a Santa Cottage myself, and I'd love to see how you did yours.

Actually it was my hubby's idea that I use an Aster for a CHristmas cottage as he thought we lacked a Christmas house and he sat down and looked through the sites with me and fell for the Aster. I must say I like the lay out so much in this house, as it is a very roomy feel to it yet cozy.

I think I Have most of it together now, small things to add to the exterior apart form the "grid" so to speak.

Will update my site soon with new pics.

Hugs

I go all out for Christmas and I use my collection of David Winter and Lilliput Lane for my village. I have a coffee table that has a glass top over a solid bottom and create a snowy landscape with skaters on a frozen pond and several little "distint" groupings of tudor cotswold etc. I have an old fashion train that chuggs around it.My only problem is keeping my dogs (2 boxers) away from it. The train drives them nuts and their noses either blows the snow around or it gets stuck on the nose. Ever seen a dog go crosseyed? rotflmao!!!!!

I go all out for Christmas and I use my collection of David Winter and Lilliput Lane for my village. I have a coffee table that has a glass top over a solid bottom and create a snowy landscape with skaters on a frozen pond and several little "distint" groupings of tudor cotswold etc. I have an old fashion train that chuggs around it.My only problem is keeping my dogs (2 boxers) away from it. The train drives them nuts and their noses either blows the snow around or it gets stuck on the nose. Ever seen a dog go crosseyed? rotflmao!!!!!

Theis setting sound lovley, any pics somewhere for us to enjoy? ANd yes the look of a furbaby's face when their eyes sort of meet is priceless LOL

Our "little" girl (who went over the rainbow bridge almost 2 years ago) loved her garden and would do just about anything to be able to sneak out there when the sun showed itself, well one of those beautiful days I saw her half "sitting up in sort of a froxen movement and went out to see what was up, when I got out there close to her I saw she had her gaze fixed on her nose in a crossed kind of way as there were this huge fly sitting smack mid on her nose. She had this kind of bewildered kind of look with a slight hint of a frown as well. When she realized I stood there looking at her she got the courage to make a sort of a little huff and awya went the fly. What a reliefe that was..... She happily accompanied me indoors after that.

Hugs

• 2 weeks later...

If you look in the gallery under Community Classes and Contests, there's a link there for the Halloween Madness contest from last year. Teresa (MiniMadWoman) used her Haunted House kit to make the most adorable Christmas House. Look for her ForestGate Cottage there. It's simply awesome.

Deb

I think if I win one of the Haunted Houses in October, I might turn it into a Christmas House. I'm already making Xmas candy with polymer clay...just in case!

Neat idea!!!! I need two BIG candy canes, hmmm might work if I make two out of fimo.....

Well it is worth a try!!!!

Thank you ! And I do think that even if the haunted house might grumble a little it will certainly look adorable as Christmassy house!!!!!

Hugs