Why do half scale?

Lady Grey

...Maybe I will one day attempt half scale as it seems to be enjoyed by so many.
Any time y'all are down here in Baldwin County & we're home you are certainly welcome to come see my 1:24 endeavors.

I agree with the others who have said that bashing (also known as "kitbashing") is less intimidating in half scale. To me, everything just seems more manageable. I bashed two Rosedales together to make a bigger house... it was a challenge, but totally doable, and I was so proud of myself when it came out basically how I had imagined it.

I agree. I'm not sure what it is about the one inch scale, but I am more intimidated and less likely to try something. Maybe it is what you said, that it's more manageable in half inch to make changes. And I feel like if I completely mess it up, it's okay to start over because the kits aren't as expensive as the full scale ones.

I haven't tried the 1/2" scale yet - but I jumped right on down the scale to the 1:144's ! And I LOVE it! I'm honing my skills on that scale and working towards making my own buildings without buying a kit. And, yes, I do use a magnifier. I bought one at a county fair a couple years ago and really like it - comfortable to wear, easy to use, and I can look up over the top of it so I can see the TV.

Another thing I like about this scale is that I can put them all in the larger 1:12 scale houses - they don't take up extra space. :D

I haven't tried the 1/2" scale yet - but I jumped right on down the scale to the 1:144's ! And I LOVE it! I'm honing my skills on that scale and working towards making my own buildings without buying a kit. And, yes, I do use a magnifier. I bought one at a county fair a couple years ago and really like it - comfortable to wear, easy to use, and I can look up over the top of it so I can see the TV.

Another thing I like about this scale is that I can put them all in the larger 1:12 scale houses - they don't take up extra space. :D

I've got visor magnifiers like yours, mine are black and have a little extra pull down lens which lets me see REALLY close up. Got them at Harbor Tool and Freight for $5!

• 3 weeks later...

I love half scale because of the smaller size...it allows me to work on a house, and then move it easily into my extra bedroom with the door closed until I get back to working on it. I have a very "helpful" kitty who would be glad to do some "work" on the house if it was left in the main part of the house! I do have a lighted standing magnifying glass, and I also purchased a visor that has four different magnifications. I find them excellent when working in half scale! To be honest, I do watchmaking as a hobby also..vintage ladies watches...and find half inch scale gigantic compared to working with fine ladies watches!!

I love the smaller scales because everything is so much more tiny. I have a Sea-Side villa in storage until I get a new place but I am able to plan and start work on my 1/2 scale Colonial. I have only ever made a half scale puzzle house. I bashed the heck out of it so it doesn't even look like the puzzle anymore. I had a blast doing it but I am a bit nervous about trying to furnish and accessorize in this scale even though I've not had that feeling with my 1:48 Pickett hill. There is so much more available in that scale then in half scale though. I have some major ideas bursting out for the Colonial that once I have my supplies it should come together very quickly. I hope you give it a shot. It is fun and your tweezers will become your best friend LOL.