Why do half scale?

Lady Grey

I just finished my first 1" scale house. Alot of the tasks were tedious due to tight spaces, tiny edges, delicate surfaces and textures, and tiny items. I just love working in miniature; however, I cannot imagine how much more difficult and tedious it is to do a half scale house! I am seeing alot of popularity in half scale miniatures.

Can anyone tell me why you love working in half scale? Do you use extra powerful magnification glass? You must have very capable work benches with special tools.

Will you share your stories and experiences on how you got into half scale? I would love to hear them.

I love half scale as it is so cute and takes up much less room (and I have far too many ideas to make everything in 1" scale). It can be fiddly, but I have small fingers which helps! The down side is that there aremuch fewer items available (furniture, accesories, decorative stuff etc). So it can be hard to get the real life to look like the image in my head.

I don't use a magnifying glass, but I can imagine at times this would make things much easier.

I like both 1:12 and 1:24, and eventually I have some 1:48 kits to build. I use the same jeweler's loupe to stitch 1:24 rugs. I use the same utility knife and magnetic gluing jig to assemble the furniture, although I make furniture with far fewer working drawers/ table leaves (or hinges), etc. Sculpting the 1:24 dolls was a tad fiddlier; I'll use plastic figures for 1:48! I notice, though, that after working in 1:24 for a while, 1:12 seems huge and going for more detail isn't nearly as tedious as it was pre 1:24.

I enjoy the challenge of the smaller scales.... (although I love 1:12 scale also).... I did my first 1/2 scale to save space in my RL house... and I fell in love with them. I think they are adorable. There is less in the way of supplies, lights, etc... but I still enjoy them. I don't have any special tools, I just the same ones I use on my 1:12 scale houses.

Here are my reasons: Hooked on Half Scale :)

I am working on my fifth half scale house. (Regular 1" scale houses seem huge to me now...) No magnifier or special tools required! I was intimidated when I first started but now I don't find it difficult or tedious at all. If anything it goes quicker than a 1" house, and way easier to work on in my small, messy workroom. Right now the house I'm working on is on the floor tipped on its side so I can glue on trim. In contrast, the 1" house I'm working on (which is, incidentally, almost the exact same design as the half scale house) is too heavy for me to lift, let alone flip over!

If you're thinking of trying half scale, I highly recommend Greenleaf's laser cut kits. The wood requires very little prep work, and they're affordable so you don't have to make a huge investment just to see if you like it.

I will always love my 1" scale minis and houses. I was one of those that for years said I would never do a smaller scale due to the lack of detail. Well being a Bespaq fanatic, I became obsessed with their half scale furniture and started collecting it like crazy - it was just so cute in the smaller scale with lots of detail. Of course, then I needed a house for all that furniture. I bought the half scale Seaside Villa and now I am considering adding a half scale Majestic Mansion house to the collection. I guess I am now officially a half scale miniaturist. I am frustrated by the lack of half scale items available while quarter scale minis are abundantly available. Quarter scale seems to be so much more popular than half scale which is a mystery to me.

I did find some wonderful half scale minis today at The Good Sam mini show so progress is slowly being made. Also, Bluette Meloney had a Fairfield house for sale at her table. Completed by a mini store owner many years ago it was so beautifully done, just amazing. I took some pics will try to post. Price tag: $4,500.00

Valerie

• Like 1

Ooh, Valerie, I'd love to see those Fairfield pictures! And please show us what half scale stuff you bought, too. I didn't make it to Good Sam this year, but now you're making me wish I had. :(

I adore half scale, and the Greenleaf kits are a joy to work with because the wood is so smooth and the edges require almost no sanding. I also love the realism and detail of Bespaq, and I've made many of the Cassidy Creations furniture kits and they turned out really well! The drawers and cupboard doors open. You do have to look hard for appropriately sized accessories, but they are out there and more artists are starting to offer things in this scale.

Like others, my work space is limited (I had to promise hubby that the full scale Tennyson I'm just starting won't be spread out all over the house). With half scale, this isn't a problem. I can work at the kitchen table and clean up is easy. I like to use a lazy Susan to set the house on while working, painting, etc. I've learned to plan better (though I do tend to just want to start putting it together!), but like FOV above said, you can turn the house upside down to get into tight places.

I can also experiment more. They are quicker to build, use less paint, glue, etc., and (the Greenleaf) kits' wood is thinner and easier to cut for modifications (if you don't have a shop or have power tool fear (like me!) so I am more likely to try something different. Somehow, with the larger scale, I'm afraid I will mess something up if I take a chance so I don't want to make radical changes, but with the smaller scale I've gotten more adventuresome.

If you enjoy the cottages, they will fit on a shelf. My Diana is on a shelf in my china cabinet! With this scale I can keep more than one house, so I'm really having a lot of fun with it. Give it a try--bet you get hooked too!

I started 1:24 as I needed a project I could work on in the dining room instead of my basement room. I will admit it did cause me some frustration with my hands feeling more like paws!! I find I have a harder time finding things to decorate. I am not so good at being creative. However I am now doing another half scale and turning it into a dress shop. I don't use any special equipment but did get out my craft magnifier light that was given to me for cross stitching. Thought it might come in handy for making the dresses. What I like about it is the challenge, can I make it come out the way I envision it in my head.

I went to 1:24 when I needed to squeeze a two-story ballroom into the 1:12 houseboat for HBS's Creatin' Contest a few years ago. It took a bit of adjustment in my thinking, but I enjoyed the challenge. I would do 1:24 again in a heartbeat if it weren't for the large number of 1:12 houses under construction or waiting in the wings.

When I decided to build the Fairfield I discovered I had TWO kits and enough ideas to fill both of them, which is why I wound up building one of them inside out so they could be halves of a single house, and bashed them accordingly. I discovered that 1:24 bashes much more easily into whatever wild & wonderful ideas the kit gives you. I also discovered that those lovely little furniture sets from HBS are really smaller than 1:24 scale, as I built the 1:24 kits and made my 1:24 people, so I took a lot of the dh furniture books and scaled the patterns down from 1:12. I have one more 1:24 kit to build before I'm done, but I will keep all my 1:24 houses long after I've found homes for the 1:12 ones!

I have only done one 1/2 scale, the Fairfield. I really liked it but never built another that size because I can't find the 1/2 scale wallpaper as easily as I did with the Fairfield. I've since sold it but kept all the furniture. My Fairfielld even had the hardwood floor paper. The paper I had was mostly Herme's which is no longer available. I may try one of the GL laser cuts. I have a few pieces of wallpaper left and could just stain the floors. Maybe I'll try the Willow.

I have worked in half scale and find that I like it about the same as in 1:12 or 1:48. I find it is the project that draws me not the scale itself. If an original from scratch 1:24 would be determined by the size of the build itself. I have one project (Elrond's Library/Chamber) that iwould be nearly 8 feet in 1:12 but because of detail would be impractical in 1:48. The limit is my skill at that size! So 1:24 it is.

I have only done one 1/2 scale, the Fairfield. I really liked it but never built another that size because I can't find the 1/2 scale wallpaper as easily as I did with the Fairfield. I've since sold it but kept all the furniture. My Fairfielld even had the hardwood floor paper. The paper I had was mostly Herme's which is no longer available. I may try one of the GL laser cuts. I have a few pieces of wallpaper left and could just stain the floors. Maybe I'll try the Willow.

Pat, Itsy Bitsy and Brodnax Prints has tons of half scale wallpaper. Any paper Itsy Bitsy has in 1" scale they have in 1/2" scale. I prefer the Itsy Bitsy over Brodnax as I like the paper it is printed on better. But I am using the flooring from Brodnax Prints.

Valerie

Pat, I scribed the floors in my Fairfields, but in the 1:24 hacienda I cut the iron-on wood veneer into floorboard size pieces and laid them in the bedroom:

gallery_8_1766_110278.jpg

gallery_8_1766_72161.jpg

This is exactly what I used for the floors in the Diana!

I had the wallpaper already, but there are several places to get it on eBay, but I just make my own using free printies. Try Jim's Dollhouse Page www.printmini.com or Jennifer's Printables www.jennifersprintables.com for more ideas.

I adore half scale, and the Greenleaf kits are a joy to work with because the wood is so smooth and the edges require almost no sanding. I also love the realism and detail of Bespaq, and I've made many of the Cassidy Creations furniture kits and they turned out really well! The drawers and cupboard doors open. You do have to look hard for appropriately sized accessories, but they are out there and more artists are starting to offer things in this scale.

Like others, my work space is limited (I had to promise hubby that the full scale Tennyson I'm just starting won't be spread out all over the house). With half scale, this isn't a problem. I can work at the kitchen table and clean up is easy. I like to use a lazy Susan to set the house on while working, painting, etc. I've learned to plan better (though I do tend to just want to start putting it together!), but like FOV above said, you can turn the house upside down to get into tight places.

I can also experiment more. They are quicker to build, use less paint, glue, etc., and (the Greenleaf) kits' wood is thinner and easier to cut for modifications (if you don't have a shop or have power tool fear (like me!) so I am more likely to try something different. Somehow, with the larger scale, I'm afraid I will mess something up if I take a chance so I don't want to make radical changes, but with the smaller scale I've gotten more adventuresome.

If you enjoy the cottages, they will fit on a shelf. My Diana is on a shelf in my china cabinet! With this scale I can keep more than one house, so I'm really having a lot of fun with it. Give it a try--bet you get hooked too!

That is grand! Thanks for all the details for what to use as well. Sounds like an opportunity to use your creativity skills.

When I decided to build the Fairfield I discovered I had TWO kits and enough ideas to fill both of them, which is why I wound up building one of them inside out so they could be halves of a single house, and bashed them accordingly. I discovered that 1:24 bashes much more easily into whatever wild & wonderful ideas the kit gives you. I also discovered that those lovely little furniture sets from HBS are really smaller than 1:24 scale, as I built the 1:24 kits and made my 1:24 people, so I took a lot of the dh furniture books and scaled the patterns down from 1:12. I have one more 1:24 kit to build before I'm done, but I will keep all my 1:24 houses long after I've found homes for the 1:12 ones!

This all sounds Greek to me, but it sounds like fun for the experts. I like your pics!! I do not know what "bashing" means. I must research that. I see it here from time to time. As a beginner, I am still learning the terminology. :D

..... I do not know what "bashing" means. I must research that. I see it here from time to time. As a beginner, I am still learning the terminology. :D

"Bashing" means modifying the kit, usually with more than just upgraded windows, doors, etc. Some people raise the roof lines, add the bottom of one house to another, that short of thing.

In the case of the Fairfields, I took out the second floor over the former foyer in the insideout one and hung a Foucault's Pendulum from the tower's third floor ceiling. In the Pierce rehab I cut arched double doorways into the formerly solid end wall so I can add an extension with a conservatory off the parlor with a rooftop garden off the master bedroom. In the Magnolia I bashed a wall to divide the space into a bathroom and the kids' room. Bashing is lots of fun!

"Bashing" means modifying the kit, usually with more than just upgraded windows, doors, etc. Some people raise the roof lines, add the bottom of one house to another, that short of thing.

Thanks, that sounds grand. Now I know it does not mean we are going to bash a miniature party somewhere. LOL

In the case of the Fairfields, I took out the second floor over the former foyer in the insideout one and hung a Foucault's Pendulum from the tower's third floor ceiling. In the Pierce rehab I cut arched double doorways into the formerly solid end wall so I can add an extension with a conservatory off the parlor with a rooftop garden off the master bedroom. In the Magnolia I bashed a wall to divide the space into a bathroom and the kids' room. Bashing is lots of fun!

Those projects sound just esquisite, Holly. It does sound like a lot of fun! Thanks.

I agree with the others who have said that bashing (also known as "kitbashing") is less intimidating in half scale. To me, everything just seems more manageable. I bashed two Rosedales together to make a bigger house... it was a challenge, but totally doable, and I was so proud of myself when it came out basically how I had imagined it.

I started with 1" scale, each one of my children wanted a house, so I made 6. Yep, then I wanted one but not that big. I saw 1/2" scale at the shows and loved the idea. You could use your imagination more and it fit in your house. I love 1/2" so much. I retired so now I can finish all of my old project and look for new ones. Everyone should try 1/2", even if it is only one piece.(If you do, you will get hooked)

Gail

I started with 1" scale, each one of my children wanted a house, so I made 6. Yep, then I wanted one but not that big. I saw 1/2" scale at the shows and loved the idea. You could use your imagination more and it fit in your house. I love 1/2" so much. I retired so now I can finish all of my old project and look for new ones. Everyone should try 1/2", even if it is only one piece.(If you do, you will get hooked)

Gail

What a wonderful mother! I would love to benefit by receiving a doll house from a loving mom! Lucky 6 children.

Maybe I will one day attempt half scale as it seems to be enjoyed by so many.