Closure Problem With 1/2 Scale Townhouse

jrchob

The magnets that came with the kit are ugly black and they do not hold the bayside panel closed. There is another set on the right side.

I don't think I have room on the front for a hook closure. (1/2 scale) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-6081-0-53070000-1339436894_thumb.jp

post-6081-0-78300200-1339436911_thumb.jp

What about strip magnets on the front walls where they meet up? Like along the wall edges so they stick to each other? You can also look for interior latches or self-closing hinges in the cabinet hardware aisle at a hardware store. Or more powerful magnets covered with wallpaper so they are somewhat camoflouged.

I don't have a suggestion, but I want to say that your house looks great! I saw this kit built up at a mini store for a crazy low price (it was like $200, completely finished). Even though I'm a half scale addict, I didn't even consider buying it because I didn't like the colors it was finished with. But if it looked anything like yours I probably would have. :)

Velcro?

I had not considered velcro. Thanks for the idea.

What about strip magnets on the front walls where they meet up? Like along the wall edges so they stick to each other? You can also look for interior latches or self-closing hinges in the cabinet hardware aisle at a hardware store. Or more powerful magnets covered with wallpaper so they are somewhat camoflouged.

I like the idea of strip magnet but probably not enough space. I didn't realize one could cover a magnet so that would be a possibility. I did find in a google search small silver round magnets with a pull of 1.3 lbs, They would not scream at me like the black!

I don't have a suggestion, but I want to say that your house looks great! I saw this kit built up at a mini store for a crazy low price (it was like $200, completely finished). Even though I'm a half scale addict, I didn't even consider buying it because I didn't like the colors it was finished with. But if it looked anything like yours I probably would have. :)

Thanks!! This house has given me the fits but I'm liking it better now that it's in the end stretch. Will probably do another 1/2 scale at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem with my house. I've tried looking for stronger magnets, but the only ones I can find are identical to the ones in the kit. Your house is lovely!

http://www.nanasmini...-townhouse.html

Your stonework is beautiful!

I ended up using ugly and less ugly. I used the stronger silver colored magnets on the house and the black on the front panels. I snipped off the square tip on the black. One problem I had in getting the magnets to hold was the bay up front side. Didn't want to stay shut with the magnets on the top floor, so I put them one floor lower and it seems to be holding closed well. Haven't decided if I will paint the black ones. The silver colored magnets were too strong to use on house and panels.

post-6081-0-30341000-1340461573_thumb.jp

I'm not familiar with the silver magnets. Where did you find them?

They are called "super magnets" or "rare earth" magnets. The two I used, we had in the basement. Problem using four of these is the power of the hold. Our local Woodcraft carries them. Many web sites also do. I actually ordered smaller ones but they didn.t look disc like.

Trying to finish the inside so it can go to Atlanta end of July. Will put pics in Gallery soon. Love to see what you're doing too!

• 2 months later...