"Painted Concrete" finish

I'm building the Orchid kit, and since it's such a small house, I'm going to decorate it like a modern efficiency apartment. For flooring on both stories, I'm going for a painted concrete look.

Right now, I'm thinking I'd paint on the base coat over the primer, add the highlights, and then cover with a wash of the base color. (I'm using acrylic paint.) Have you ever done painted floors, and if so, do you have any tips/tricks?

Painted concrete? On a piece of scrapwood spread a thin coat of spackling compound and when it's thoroughly dry sand it smooth, give it a coat of primer followed by a coat of satin or semigloss and then your color wash and see how you like it. It's how I did my pub's kitchen floor: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=39290

Thank you, Janet, aging that Chrysnbon stove was an article in an early issue of American Miniaturist; I went berserk with the Chrysnbon cookware kit while I was at it!

• 4 weeks later...

Mandy, honey, its not for nothing that I'm the Queen of Spackling Compound! The stucco, the plaster and the stones on the chimney and the kitchen and bathroom floors are ALL spackle!

• Like 1

I am with Holly on this. I used wall board mud for the "stone/walkway" on my Leaky Cauldron/digon Alley. It was easy to do and after the color washes very effective. I really don't like the light weight sparkle and hardly ever use it.

I really don't like the light weight sparky and hardly ever use it.

I'm so glad you said this. Everyone is always raving about this, and it and I did not get along at all. I just figured I was doing something wrong. I did love how much lighter is was, but I couldn't control it like the regular spackle I was used to.

I use the lightweight vinyl spackle; you have to be careful to keep it closed (and I'm going to use KathieB's suggestion to put a piece of plastic wrap wover the top of the container when I replace the lid) or it turns to yucky fluff (as I learned the hard way...)

I use the lightweight vinyl spackle; you have to be careful to keep it closed (and I'm going to use KathieB's suggestion to put a piece of plastic wrap wover the top of the container when I replace the lid) or it turns to yucky fluff (as I learned the hard way...)

Holly, push the plastic wrap down onto the surface of the Spackle. What you're trying to do is keep the air inside the container from contacting the surface of the Spackle. Just putting it over the top of the container won't be as effective.