Door hinge suggestions

Minsanity

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out a not too over the topy way to put the closet door in my beacon hill. I have hinges, the "L" type, but the plates would show which i dont want. My real doors have only the hinge part showing, not the plates. Would i be asking for trouble if it tried to put them on pinning them to the sides of the door (narrow) so that only the little hinge stuck out and it still opened out - attached the way real doors are attached? It may be impossible to do, but wanted to ask. Or is there a better hinge to put on them. I need to door to open out.

Thanks for any suggestions. i have read Gina's hinge instructions, and may try cloth if this gets too difficult.

I have tried numerous times to mount the wee brass hinges on dh doors the way they're mounted on RL doors. Even countersinking the hinge so it's flush with the wood didn't work for me because plain super glue wouldn't tolerate opening & closing the door and the heads of those itty brass brads are slightly rounded, so that they cause the hinges to bind. I sandwich strips of chamois between the frame & the wall (on the side I want the door to open towards) and also between the layers of the door (I use 1/8" basswood when I'm making my own doors from scratch).

Thanks again to all of you. After all that you wrote, and looking at where i am with the door and the build, i think i need to just suck it up and put the hinges on. I dont know that i can make a frame that i will like to put into the house that already has the floors laid and dont know how i could get the pins in now that it is already constructed.

• 2 weeks later...

Following a tip on Otterine's blog, I made a scrap of Tyvek (from a USPS envelope) into a hinge for my Spring Fling door. No pictures yet, but it's very thin and flexible, can be painted to match the door, and won't tear.