yet another scratch build

mesp2k

Thanks Janice...

I wanted a dollhouse that I could decorate in sections, then assemble & display until I run out room at which point I would pack the house up to store it or to move it (or to mail it - if I sold it.)

And yes it can be disassembled after its decorated & wired. Metal pins hold the walls & roof together. The floor sections are secured to the walls with tongue & groove.

And I'll be using computer ribbon wire that plugs/unplugs to/from a circuit board so each wall can be unplugged separately. Ceiling lights connect thru contacts between the front wall & floor sections.

...for more tedious details - please check out my blog > CLICK

Started the interior...need to get some paint & print some wallpaper before adding the chair rails & crown molding... notice the bead board & mat board are flush like the real thing.

When I did my Xmas vignette the bead board was flush with the window casing...had to do some filling in & covering up...

med_gallery_4762_5714_76551.jpg

Is your beadboard skinny sticks?

Nope Holly - I got it for 75% off tho ! :D

Its Northeastern Scale Lumber's 1/4" bead board - #385.

NESL call's it bead & board siding?? :w00t:

gallery_4762_5714_141127.jpg

med_gallery_4762_5714_44751.png

All right, Mr.DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

I ran out of color ink - so I decided to try black on grey paper.

I converted this color photo to B&W to make the woodwork blend in better with the wallpaper until I decide what color the trim/bead board will be.

...also just experimenting with wallpaper patterns...

:thankyou:Michelle & Holly

Observation:

I weighed this left wall including the studs & interior mat board, came to 7.5 oz., now with the added windows, siding, trim & paper stones - its only gained 3 oz. Its unbelievably light weight but seems just as strong as solid wood... :hmm:

I had to noodle around a bit but seeing how easy-peasy it all goes together is impressive. :worthy: Google took over OUR bookmarks and wants us to register with them to see our bookmarks; since the bookmark function crapped out long before going with a new isp I shall go to your profile page to keep up with your blog when I need to see what you've been up to.

Thanks!

I'm waiting for some supples, but in the mean time I decided to finish the 1st floor.

I won't be cutting any openings in it so I glued the joists in place, then

the flooring. The wood is from a life size piece of flooring, I think the wood is gum?

med_gallery_4762_5714_247305.jpg

One coat of butcher block wax so far:

Now if I drop some food on the floor I can eat it! :D

med_gallery_4762_5714_957100.jpg

Thanks!

I'm waiting for some supples, but in the mean time I decided to finish the 1st floor.

I won't be cutting any openings in it so I glued the joists in place, then

the flooring. The wood is from a life size piece of flooring, I think the wood is gum?

med_gallery_4762_5714_247305.jpg

One coat of butcher block wax so far:

Now if I drop some food on the floor I can eat it! :D

med_gallery_4762_5714_957100.jpg

As long as no one has wlked on it...

Staging:

I guess this will be some kind of office - with a spiral staircase = quart paint can. Behind the figure is an archway that will lead to an entry with a door facing to the left as the left side of the office will be facing the street. Left wall finished, except for outlets - waiting for wiring.

Thinking about doing a tin ceiling - any scratch-building ideas on how to make one?

med_gallery_4762_5714_702724.jpg

2nd floor:

Painted left wall darker exterior color & trim lighter exterior color. Might do painted floor?? Paper template is in location of spiral staircase.

med_gallery_4762_5714_904224.jpg

Scratch-built tin ceiling = textured disposable aluminum oven pans.

Floor could be painted (a good friend's house has painted floors that includes a painted rug on the parlor floor) or carpeted (felt or upholstery remnant).

...a good friend's house has painted floors that includes a painted rug on the parlor floor...

Thanks Holly, good ideas :)

Somewhere online I saw a tiled floor in a hallway that looked like a carpet! Not this one exactly, but similar: click the fringe & all are tile !