Concerning trolls

CatColorado

Hey Cat

perhaps its time to move this thread from the swap area....put this in the DIY area and label us Troll 101 :(

cant wait to try more.  is there a book out there that shows how to sculpt faces like the one I tried to copy you made.  I have searched high and low and I just cant find any dolls cheep which I can afford or expensive...they just dont have the look I have in mind.  I did like my troll and plan on doing another. and very eager to do more.

nutti :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have a DIY area? Where? There are several books that cover faces in addition to sculpting bodies. I do have some life size sculpting literature that I can make copies of and adjust to miniature work. The one book that I have that deals extensively with polymer is Sue Heaser's book "Making Miniature Dolls with Polymer Clay". All of the faces in that book are just variations of the same basic face. I've heard good things of James Carrington's books, but since I don't own it, I can't say for sure. Let me know if you want me to make up a sculpting booklet.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Im letting you know!

something simple please.

I know nothing of being artistic. I like to follow directions and come up with a reasonable copy of the sample.

as for Diy part of the forum...let me see how about putting it in "other creative endeavers"?

any hints or tips on baking the clay and whatever else you wish you would have known before starting.

after trolls I would like to make a witch....I have one but I need 2 or 3 to be happy.

lol

Well, I have ulterior motives for posting the DIY's here. I'm hoping to get people to notice the swaps and participate.

I'll get something basic typed up soon with sculpting tips. :( I still need to get some clothing patterns made for the trolls. They are really simple, I just need to quit procrastinating. :D

now for your veiwing:

my Troll

with his fur and in his clothes....I have no idea at this point if I will do something different with him later but here he is as he stands on my desk.

HEY thanks! :huh:

I dunno something about him said mowhawk and I have some rabbet fur sent to me from another miniaturist

and it was white and brown the sec I saw white I knew he had to have a white mowhawk! B)

I love this little guy!

he cracks me up! :angry: :(

and where is his cousin...still nekkid?

Question on troll clothes, do y'all just want pictures of one method of dressing a troll in shirt and pants, or do you want a pattern with instructions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes please, but I really like the work-along method too.

Okay. It's hard because everyone's troll is different, so I am trying to come up with something that can be easily adapted for everyone. That's why I like moss. It covers a multitude of sins :(:D

Okay, here's a rough pattern for some troll pants. I say rough because I had to draw it in my Paint program and to be blunt and somewhat obvious...a mouse is not a pencil :) .

post-22-1122238697_thumb.jpg

Resize pattern to fit your troll. The easiest way to do this via the computer is to cut and paste the pattern into a word document. After inserting the image into the document, resize by clicking on the image and dragging at the corners of the box that will appear. You can make several sizes of the same pattern this way just by cut and pasting. These were designed(?) to be baggy so leave keep the pattern a bit bigger than the troll.

Trace onto wrong side of fabric. Sew or glue all vertical edges leaving horizontal edges open. Turn right side out. Turn top 1/4" over to create a pocket for the drawstring. Sew or glue. For bumpkin type pants, leave the rough edge to the outside. Remember to leave an opening to insert the drawstring. Cotton twine makes for a good drawstring. If you have a needle with a big enough eye, thread the needle with the drawstring and thread through the waist pocket. If you don't have a needle, then make a knot on the end of the drawstring and push the knotted end through the waist pocket with a skewer or other long pointy object.

Thanks Cat, I finally got my little guy dressed and now I'm trying to get him some hair that I like. So far he's had 3 different hair styles. Hopefully I'll get a picture up in a day or two and get his trollette done.

:) Okay, after looking at all of these trolls I've decided I need to make one, too. But, mine is going to be much smaller. I'm thinking I need a house-elf for my retirement cottage! Perhaps one like "Winky" from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'll post a picture when I'm done! :)

Karen :huh:

That's awesome Karen! I can't wait to see him :) . I'm still waiting to see Tracy's troll too. I'm going to try and carve out some time this week to get a shirt pattern up and make a troll album.

Well, I've finished carving "Winky" and she is ready to be baked tonight! :huh: I can't wait to have my own house elf! It's not much of a fantasy retirement cottage if I'm having to do all of my own housecleaning, and I really can't picture myself with a maid. Funnily enough, I CAN picture myself with a house elf. :)

I'm using white sculpey so I'll have to paint her and make some rag clothes for her later. After I finished making her, I had some clay left in my hand so I made another head. He looks kind of like a woodsy elfish kind of guy with a cloth cap. I don't have a clue who he is, he just sort of materialized in my hands. :) I guess I'll figure out who he is and what he's doing here after he's been baked and painted.

Karen

I don't have a clue who he is, he just sort of materialized in my hands.  I guess I'll figure out who he is and what he's doing here after he's been baked and painted.

He's the house elf's boyfriend! I too look forward to pictures :)

I baked them both last night but I have no digital camera. I scanned them on the scanner so the pictures are pretty fuzzy. Here's Winky:

post-66-1122648349_thumb.jpg

She is sitting on the floor with a scrub brush in hand scrubbing the floors for me.

According to her description in the story, she has batlike ears, tennis ball shaped eyes, and a tomato shaped nose. Poor gal! :)

Here is the man in question:

post-66-1122648367_thumb.jpg

He's a fairly good-looking chap with a kind of wedge shaped face. I didn't feel like messing with too much hair so I gave him a cloth cap with a thin band around it. There is just a little hair peeking out from under it which I imagine will be a light color. I went ahead and baked him with his toothpick in place so it would be easier to add a body later.

He's the house elf's boyfriend! I too look forward to pictures 

If so, he has incredibly odd taste! :)

Karen

It takes all kinds...maybe he has a thing for ears!

Yeah, nibbling on those ears could take all day! :)

But I think I've got the scoop on the mystery man now that he is painted:

post-66-1122658584_thumb.jpg

His name is Paul and he is a friend of Winky's. When he heard that she was being taken in by an elderly couple, he thought he would tag along to see if there might be any work for him there as well. But before he can get to chopping wood and other odd jobs he will need a body. I'm thinking I need pipecleaners because I want him poseable.

I think I'm done painting Winky as well. She DEFINITLY needs some clothes! That's a whole lot lotta skin, even for a house elf! :)

post-66-1122659148_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to put her to work!

Karen