"Leather" fabric at Wal-Mart

KathieB

I just got back from a run to Wal-Mart's fabric department. They have several bolts of a fabric that looks and even feels like leather ... worn leather, leather with a small grain, leather with a slightly metallic sheen ... I bought a quarter yard to stash. Sooner or later I just know I'll want to do an overstuffed library chair in leather! It looks and feels like leather to the touch, but it is quite thin and would be easy to work with, I think.

They also had a number of small-scale cotton prints on the $1/$2 sale tables, so I added a few quarter yards of those, too. And some nice edgings on sale, the kind nice to use for window valances or bedskirts ... bought a yard or so of 3 or 4 different ones.

I went in just to look for some drapery material for the Orchid, as I'm now reupholstering the furniture with what I thought was going to be cornice/drapery fabric. Found some, and a whole lot more!

Also discovered that Wal-Mart has enlarged its scrapbooking inventory to one whole aisle (one side). Found a few little tchotchkes there, too.

Just thought you'd like to know. :blink:

ohh I hope ours has goodies like that

I got some wonderful scale looking pleather stuff at the Chicago show I havent used just yet

but I know it will be for a haunted project.

thanks for the heads up!

nutti :blink:

Thanks Kathy!

We have a WalMart about 20-30 mins away, but they have been building a new one about 5 minutes away for over a year and still not much of a builging up yet! UGH! Don't know what the problem is, but its talking forever!

Than the other day when I was up that way I saw a sign that there will be a Target coming soon, only 2 miles away from the new WalMart. It would be funny if that go completed before WalMart!

If you cant find the faux leather at wallyworld, I have found leather scraps at the local craft store. You can get a bunch of different scrap pieces in different sizes and colors for $4 a package. But I am talking about real leather. I think the walmart leather would be much ezier to handle.

Went to Walmart today and bought some (okay quite a few) pieces from their scrap fabric bin. Also bought some fabric from their $1 bin. I tried to find the leather pieces you were talking about, but this particular Walmart didn't seem to have any. Oh well.

I'm really excited. I want to make my own furniture and curtains/draperies and bed linens.

:):p:p

my wal-mart was a dud as well

no leather but I did find this lightweight seude looking stuff and may go back and get some...mostly earthtones...was with DH and he found me wondering the craft section and pulled me to his side of the force

the evil man

said come look a Hallownne stuff with me!

all thoughts of the nice suede chair I saw in my head went whhhhooooshsh

so Ill have to go back and hope they still have it. :)

I need more black material anyway

prop making you know :p