Bashing My Very First Dollhouse?!

PrairieDawn

Hey, all! this is my first post, but I have been here lurking and doing research for awhile now. I think I have learned enough to know that I don't know enough!

I picked up an Alison Jr at HL with a 40% coupon. I have opened the box and perused the instructions. I will start on the construction in the next 2 weeks.

I am wanting to add the addition to the Alison Jr, the only problem is, the house must be less than 30 inches wide to fit where I need it to. With the addition, I am looking at about 34 inches wide.

So last night it hits me..... What if I added the addition on a hinge? It could swing closed on the back of the house when not in use, and swing open next to the side when my daughter wants to play with it.

Has anyone done this before? Is it even feasible? Do you foresee any obstacles I would have to overcome?

hmmm, just thought of one.. tape wiring would be a problem. =(

Any comments? TIA!

Heavy things on hinges turn into a finger-pinch hazard when they are being moved. You could just set the addition next to the house, or velcro them together. I would join the wiring with a jack and plug

doc

Hey, all! this is my first post, but I have been here lurking and doing research for awhile now. I think I have learned enough to know that I don't know enough!

I picked up an Alison Jr at HL with a 40% coupon. I have opened the box and perused the instructions. I will start on the construction in the next 2 weeks.

I am wanting to add the addition to the Alison Jr, the only problem is, the house must be less than 30 inches wide to fit where I need it to. With the addition, I am looking at about 34 inches wide.

So last night it hits me..... What if I added the addition on a hinge? It could swing closed on the back of the house when not in use, and swing open next to the side when my daughter wants to play with it.

Has anyone done this before? Is it even feasible? Do you foresee any obstacles I would have to overcome?

hmmm, just thought of one.. tape wiring would be a problem. =(

Any comments? TIA!

I'm with doc on this. I'm planning a 3-storey addition to the Pierce that will not be permanently attached to the main house. I think a simple slot and groove will be an adequate joint. Magnets are another option and would not be as bulky as Velcro.

There are other ways to make electrical links, too. I don't feel well enough informed to discuss them, but hopefully others here will.

Good luck with your project!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that just make the addition as a separate piece. Nothing is worse than a set of pinched fingers, especially when you have mini-projects to work on. And children can be really hurt by getting their tiny fingers caught in these hinges. Same goes for kitties, who are all too inquisitive when it comes to having a dollhouse in the house.

40% off coupon, huh? That's how I got my EastSide Townhouse. I would never have been able to afford it any other way. GOOD SHOPPING SAAVY! WOOT!