Beacon Hill Bay Window & Tower Question

Minsanity

More questions! I'd love to know how people handled a couple things with this house.

First, the picture attached is one of my bay windows. The portion of wall behind the 3 bay sections that you can see at the top of the window, I'm assuming that will not be covered with more pieces and will be visable from the outside of the house. If so, I'm wondering what to do with it. Maybe paint the color of the trim? Wallpapered them to match the room? Curious how you have worked that. I expect that i need to figure this out before the windows go in!

Also, in the tower, while i have not definately decided, i dont think i'm going to make it an additional room as some have done a nice job on, because it looks a little complicated. . I'm wondering if people who have closed it off have painted the interior of the tower, or maybe wallpapered it? I was thinking i might put a light up there too and maybe have the top come off so i can put a wreath up there or something.....

Tonight i finished wiring my house! First time! Exciting, and everything seems to work. I am a little concerned though as my lines are not straight. I plan on taking lots of pictures and maybe map it - or take a lot of dimensions.....

Is it possible to spackle and paint over the tape on the ceilings?

Anyway thanks for any suggestions!

post-10427-0-65035800-1317435800_thumb.j

Hi Cindy!

Congrats on wiring your house! Great feeling, isn't it? It should be fine to paint and spackle over the tape.

I'm so glad you asked that question about the bay window. I have stared at that for so long so many times, wondering the same thing. I still haven't figured out a solution yet.

And if I were to close off my tower (I am opening mine up), I think I would at the very least paint up there. That's what I did with my Fairfield tower. You would want to see something nice through the window. And a light would look neat too.

Hi Cindy, I had to look back over my build pics to remember what I did-- I put wallpaper on that section to match the room, and put ceiling paper on that bit of ceiling in the bay section. (Actually I installed a little hook there too so that one could hang a plant also...)

I left my tower open and did a "rough" finish with spackle (it was supposed to look like an unfinished attic room)...

I don't use tapewire but I do use roundwire which is probably harder to hide on the ceilings... :p The BH was my first electric and I learned alot on it; some things I figured out were: mounting the ceiling paper/design on a cardstock template and then gluing that whole assembly to the ceiling; dremeling shallow (since the plywood is only 1/8" thick) grooves in the wood where the wire lies; running the wire under features of the ceiling (like beams or other demarcation) like in my Willow ceiling below, so that the wire run is more hidden...

post-928-0-74019400-1317481279_thumb.jpg

Thanks from me as well! :) I was thinking that wallpaper was going to be the way to go. I just hope I have enough, my dog got into that wallpaper one day, and I'm not sure I have enough. But I'll check. But, I did think to trace the bay ceiling pieces before installing them so I could cut out ceiling paper. Yay me, I love it when I think ahead (doesn't happen too often though...)!

Something else I thought about doing, was to install a false ceiling on a lower level right above the windows, so that area wouldn't show at all.

I don't remember anything on the bay windows that was sticking out like that, but everything is covered up if there was, I have wallpaper going up into the bay window ceiling areas. For the tower, I left it closed in like the kit originally has it, and I painted it white inside and put in a long hanging light so it shines through the window, which I have painted as stained glass. My husband thought of an idea (after the entire house was done) to leave the top of the tower roof open, but put a piece of plexiglass in there so light would naturally shine through there. I didn't do it because I don't want to cut apart the tower roof now, but it did sound like a great idea!