Halloween Thoughts on this rather chilly day

Wolfie

Have finished up my first custom Halloween doll already......and have several witches just taken out of the kiln - unpainted yet. Any ideas for old lady witches wich long pointy noses?

I think all witches should be glam! Yours is beautiful, and full of witchy joy. Great work, Wolfie. :D

What kind of ideas were you wanting for the other witches? Costume, face, hair?

Here's a few ideas ... ragged hems, dull colours - layered skirts, torn yellowed lace trim, skull necklace, cobwebby material for shawl, fingerless gloves, dirty cotton "Pilgrim" style bonnets, scraggy hair with twigs and leaves intertwined in it...

Or fashionable old hags ... tailored silk vests, long skirts in rich stripes of purple/blue/black, or red/yellow/orange, elaborately swirled updo wigs, beauty marks (star, moon), monocles, carved walking sticks, fancy buckles on belts and shoes ...

What about an old country witch with an outfit made from patchwork? A Chinese style straw hat. Worn leather sandals. A dented watering can, with mystic signs stencilled on it.

Or a "Mutton dressed as Lamb" witch - she's well over a hundred, but acts like she's only 50! Neon colours, animal prints, A rhinestone stud in her long, pointy nose. :p

A fat old witch, with puffy sleeves, very full calf-length skirt, with Bo-Peep overskirt, and ludicrous hat resembling one of those modern cakes with layers that lean and almost topple over themselves.

I should stop now - this may not be what you want at all!

Oh, good! :D

A dusty, crumpled witch. Beige/brown colours. Her outfit resembles an old brown paper bag. It consists of a loosely fitting dress, with long, baggy sleeves. She wears a beige cloak - the hem of which appears to have hung down too low off her broomstick. It's very muddy! Her feathered hat looks like it was used to dust the street with - and barely contains her fine hair. It started off as a neatly hairpinned bun - but she's lost most of the hairpins, and it now draggles down from under the dusty feathers!

A stiff, skinny witch - everything is pleated, folded, or starched. Grey/black/silver colour scheme. Her reinforced black bodice is pulled tight as can be - her black skirt is straight and narrow. The silvery-grey shirt she wears is skin-tight - the collar is starched stiff. Her dark grey hat has a tall, thin "spire", and a crisply pleated black band at the crown. Her silver belt has several unusual keys hanging off it. Her iron grey specs are firmly embedded on her long, pointy nose. She may be the librarian of the Magick School!

This witch wears a sage green dress, trimmed in deep red. A long sleeved, white peasant blouse. Her apron is embroidered with magickal signs - with pockets full of the herbs she just gathered. Her long grey/white hair hangs down her back in a thick braid. Her wide-brimmed hat is also sage green, with a short cone.

Oh, good! :D

A dusty, crumpled witch. Beige/brown colours. Her outfit resembles an old brown paper bag. It consists of a loosely fitting dress, with long, baggy sleeves. She wears a beige cloak - the hem of which appears to have hung down too low off her broomstick. It's very muddy! Her feathered hat looks like it was used to dust the street with - and barely contains her fine hair. It started off as a neatly hairpinned bun - but she's lost most of the hairpins, and it now draggles down from under the dusty feathers!

A stiff, skinny witch - everything is pleated, folded, or starched. Grey/black/silver colour scheme. Her reinforced black bodice is pulled tight as can be - her black skirt is straight and narrow. The silvery-grey shirt she wears is skin-tight - the collar is starched stiff. Her dark grey hat has a tall, thin "spire", and a crisply pleated black band at the crown. Her silver belt has several unusual keys hanging off it. Her iron grey specs are firmly embedded on her long, pointy nose. She may be the librarian of the Magick School!

This witch wears a sage green dress, trimmed in deep red. A long sleeved, white peasant blouse. Her apron is embroidered with magickal signs - with pockets full of the herbs she just gathered. Her long grey/white hair hangs down her back in a thick braid. Her wide-brimmed hat is also sage green, with a short cone.

I didn't receive an email notification that you had replied, but checked today just in case. I'm glad that I can inspire you - it makes me very happy! Okay, here's a few more. I can't wait to see your witches when you make them!!

Here's a witch who thinks she's a real femme fatale. Her slinky red dress has a slit on one side - revealing a knobby, veiny leg ... uck! She uses a long cigarette holder, and drapes her black feather boa provacatively over a wrinkled shoulder. The deepcut neckline of her lovely dress is designed for an abundant busom - but her sunken chest just can't do it justice. Her hairdresser did his best to give her a gorgeous mane ... but even he couldn't hide the bald spots, and no amount of hairspray could help the thin, lank strands of (dyed black) hair. The ridiculously tiny sequinned witch's hat she chose just doesn't cover enough!

Now, there's a healthy looking witch! See her over there, with sturdy legs clad in warm stockings, wearing a dirndl style dress of deep blue and white. Her short-sleeved, white blouse is made of broderie Anglaise - simple, yet pretty. She has a weathered face, ruddy cheeks, and a kindly dispostion. Her leather hiking boots are well-worn - she can cover seven leagues at one stride! She wields a tall wooden staff, topped with a crystal from the mountains that she grew up in. Her braided hair actually replaces her hat - a twisted tower of grey tresses. She has a tiny goat for her familiar - who follows her everywhere, adoringly. She loves to make delicious cheeses and potent herbal liqueurs to sell to the villagers, and this is where her long nose serves her well. She keeps a small bottle of her liqueur in a leather pouch by her side - very reviving on a long mountain hike!

This witch is very pale ... pale skin, pale hair, pale clothes. Her translucent peach silk top is studded with pearls, and floats about her. Her pale yellow harem trousers are made of a soft cotton, and she wears the thinnest white kidskin slippers, so that she can feel whatever is buried in the earth beneath her. Her shimmering silver hair is softly waved, and held back by a hairnet made of spider silk. Her head is permanently tilted at an angle, leaning in to see and hear all. Her speciality is locating anything lost. Lost jewellery, lost souls, lost loves. She hangs the tools of her trade off her long silver chain of a necklace. A silver magnifying glass, a tiny crystal scrying ball, and a small white ear trumpet to hear the cries of the dead, and the heartbroken. She also uses a long, very thin glass wand, for her searching spells.

These ideas are fabulous! I can't wait to see what comes of them. I especially like

ragged hems, dull colours - layered skirts, torn yellowed lace trim, skull necklace, cobwebby material for shawl, fingerless gloves, dirty cotton "Pilgrim" style bonnets, scraggy hair with twigs and leaves intertwined in it...

Thanks, Kabrina. :)

I just met another "traditional" witch:

A filthy mobcap scrunched over faded red tangled curls. A short, moth-eaten woolen cloak, hugged close by scrawny, fingers - dirty, cracked fingernails. Under the cloak, a thin cotton pioneer dress - a mottled dark brown/black colour. Many buttons in a line down the front of the dress - some missing. Flat shoes, with scuffed toes and worn down heels. She carries a bundle of firewood on her bent back, and supports herself with a gnarled stick. Don't look her in her clouded eyes!

Wow I'm still filling the kiln, and now have plenty of ideas for witches!

Here is the pretty witch I made my customer.....which is now in her hands.....and she also bought my Virginia Wolff!!!

All of my dolls have jewelry....... Some more than others. The latest of my dolls is Regina. She is wearing an emerald ring and pearl earrings - she is a Regency era doll wearing a gown and hat from 1829. Actually she is a "do-over" because I just couldn't stand looking at the boring dress she was wearing before. After the show I decided I would just give her a do-over and see if she is better for it.

I must take another look through your dolls - it has been too long since I enjoyed that pleasure! :D

Oh, one more witch popped into my head ... I think she is a little peeved that I didn't notice her sooner!

She's a Voodoo witch - she wears a bright red pouch (a Gris-Gris bag of charms) on a thong around one wrist. On the other wrist, a bracelet of curved claws dangles. A colourful (green/blue) kerchief is wrapped around her long, dark hair. Some tightly curled tendrils escape it. She has many necklaces of green and blue beads. Her blue blouse is off the shoulders, with long, full sleeves and gathered cuffs. She has a green sash tied around her waist. Her blue-green skirt is ankle-length, and gathered at the waist. A multi-coloured shawl is draped about her shoulders. Her feet are bare. She was a rare and wild beauty when young - and now, her aged face has a fierce, untamed look to it.