foamboard and matboard

bigmama

Hello,

I know this is gonna sound stupid but, being new to the miniature scene. Could someone please tell me the difference in foamboard and matboard?

Dollhouse Miniatures magazine has a really interesting project on their site.

Foamboard (or foamcore) is a thin layer of styrofoam sandwiched between two sheets of heavy paper. The whole "sandwich" is about a quarter inch thick. You can cut it with a utility or X-acto knife. It is stiff and holds it shape, much like a piece of balsa wood.

Matboard is a heavy cardboard that comes in various weights, colors, and textures and is generally used for creating a mat around pictures.

Hope that helps!

I know this is gonna sound stupid but, being new to the miniature scene. Could someone please tell me the difference in foamboard and matboard?

And there is no such thing as a stupid question. I did not used to know what it was till I asked too :lol:

Foamboard also comes in 1/2" and 1" thicknesses, I believe!! :D

Something else I found out - some foamboard is made better than others. I was buying it at the Dollar Tree for a dollar a sheet but they hadn't had any for a while and I really needed some so I went to the craft store and sprung for the almost $3 a sheet for theirs.. it was way better quality that the stuff I was getting for a buck :lol: Wow was I shocked... I don't know why I should have been I guess I just didn't think about different manufacturers making slightly different qualities of products.

-David :lol:

I buy foamboard at AC Moore. I paid about $3.99 for a sheet (cant remember dimensions) plus the 40% off coupon. I like using it too. I have to buy some more for the MHM bathroom. BUT only after I finish the Orchid! Something has to be finished around here..LOL

Hello everyone

I want to say thank you all so much for the answers they were very helpful. I wanna say I have learned alot since i joined this forum. Everyone's houses look so good and everyone is so helpful. You all are a wealth of mini knowledge.

Thank You