Shingles

KathieB

I've embarked on my first shingle job. The shingles for the Orchid are thin and easy to cut with scissors, so I've been able to make the joints fairly neat where the dormers meet the roof.

But I'm wondering if this angle should be covered or treated in some way to make it look neater?

I'm planning to stain the shingles after they've been attached, so I could put darker (more heavily applied) stain into the joints as a shadow effect.

Hmm . . . I'm not really sure what you could use to cover them. I've wondered the same thing myself. Brian was able to cover the joints on the window bay roof with success, but I don't know about the "inside" joints. If you wanted to get real fancy I suppose you could cover it with copper for that downspout effect, but then I would have put it under the shingles to make it look realistic.

Maybe someone out there has the answer?! :lol: That or I guess we'll just have to live with it! :lol:

Teresa, I like the idea of copper flashing! I think I'll save it for another house, though. The more I think about it, the more I think shadows in the crevices will satisfy me.

How did Brian finish the bay window shingle joints?

(Edit: I just looked at your Team Orchid blog. There's a clear picture of the bay window roof on it. Thank you!)

You're welcome Kathie!

I think you're right about the copper . . . probably better for a bigger, fancier house where the owner's are quite wealthy! :lol:

Hi Kathie,

I think your shingling looks great! I can't think of a thing it needs. I've been tempted to put copper flashing on my light house but I'm thinking for a house like this that perhaps the flashing went under the shingles <?> I don't remember seeing it on top of shingles on an inverted corner.. but I'm not always very observant :lol: Still I think it looks great! And very finished looking :lol:

-David :D

David you are hers look WONDERFUL! She should see my wood ones. Those edges get on my LAST nerve!! Hers look wonderful. Holly (Havana) uses paper that she lay on the edges to help guid her while cutting the roof shingles on her houses.

:lol:

Holly (Havana) uses paper that she lay on the edges to help guid her while cutting the roof shingles on her houses.

:)

What a great idea ... much easier to cut to a paper template flat on the workbench than on a sloping roof! I'm going to try that on what's left (one small dormer and the back). And a WHOLE lot easier to draw the guidelines!

Im not sure what the problem is.

it looks great!

looking forward to seeing MORE

nutti :D

Thanks! Not really a problem, just always wondering how others handle the finishing touches.

I'm never ready to leave well enough alone! ;)

Hi Kathie,

I think your shingling looks great! I can't think of a thing it needs. I've been tempted to put copper flashing on my light house but I'm thinking for a house like this that perhaps the flashing went under the shingles <?> I don't remember seeing it on top of shingles on an inverted corner.. but I'm not always very observant :lol: Still I think it looks great! And very finished looking ;)

-David :D

Thanks, David. Yes, I think it went under the shingles ... and was probably galvanized steel in more modest homes rather than copper. I've been looking at house roofs around here, and they seem to have a line of shingles in the "groove". But they all seem to be flexible shingles, not wooden shakes, so that still doesn't tell me anything. There are very few wooden shake roofs in central Missouri!

I guess I could always grow some moss in the crevices to cover the seams ... :lol:

Shingles are finished and stained. I shouldn't have worried. They look fine. I didn't even put the little "cap" row on the corners of the bay window. They fit together very well. I didn't want the extra bulk if I could get away with it.

While I was staining, I noticed that if I stroked the stiff brush upward, it left an interesting pattern. On a another house (maybe one with snow on the roof?), this might be an interesting technique to try.

Look in my album for more pics.