Misaligned tabs, slots...??

ladybug324

All right, so I'm working on my staircase and it seems that one of the tabs/slots are misaligned. Now I wonder if I did something wrong, or does this happen sometimes? :)

If so, what should I do?

I have the Franklin (I believe that's the one) and none of the stairs lined up so I just cut them to fit - and only Later realized that one of the walls wasn't properly seated and that's what caused them to misalign. So first thing I'd do is double check the instructions and over it carefuly. With the Franklin.. because I had already altered the stairs to fit I then had to go back and do some cutting on the wall :lol: I didn't do the work of putting the walls together so I should have doubled checked that before assuming it was a manufactuer error. Forunately just about any mistake can be fixed.

-David

Oh no!! :p

I hope I didn't put the pieces in backwards! I checked and triple-checked the photos in the instructions and compared to what I was doing and it seemed right! Oh, boy... :lol:

I'm going to go take a look and see if I did do something wrong. If I did, it's going to be a heck of a time to take apart, the glue is like cement. :D

how far off is it?

and just what is misaligned?

how the stairs will fit together or how it will fit in the floor tabs?

it helps sometimes to post a photo in your post so that those who know can see the problem IF there is a problem

I have had to take tabs completly off stair cases to get them to go where they are suppose to go.

its all fixable....or hideable :p

nutti :lol:

The back side is misaligned to the left bottom side.

I just taped the back side to the bottom left side so I can show you guys what's going on here. Here are some pictures.

This first one is a close up shot of the misaligned tab/slot.

Staircase_misalign02.jpg

In this second one, I circled in red where you can also see how the top edges of both these pieces don't align either.

Staircase_misalign01.jpg

Hmmm. That's quite interesting. It looks like that whole piece is a bit off, and it may need to be shaved down from the bottom. I'm gonna let someone else answer though, because I've not built this house before and someone else can probably give you a better answer than me.

Hi Brenda,

No worries, the pieces are cut correctly and not misaligned at all. You're doing everything just right. The tab and slot are both in the right place, it just looks funny because you're trying to make the bottom edges flush and not the top edges. If you'll look at the big piece, it has tabs on the bottom of it that fit into the slots on the floor. When you make the bottom edges of those two pieces flush, you're actually aligning the front part to the bottom of the tab, not the actual bottom of the staircase.

I didn't use the staircase in the Pierce, so I've got it unassembled and hauled it out. Here's a picture of how it looks when the tab and slot are fitted together. The top edges become flush and the bottom edges are not. If you'll put it together with the tab and slot fitted and the top edges flush, then set it into the slots on your floor, you'll see that the whole thing fits perfectly.

(Disregard the tip of the cat's tail in the picture. It's not part of the kit, but my siamese thinks it's the perfect accent and he suggests you add one yourself)

Hope that helps!

Deb

MacGuyver Deb is at it again! That explains it very well. I had the same proble in my Lily. My stairs were not aligned correctly and I realized it was because I had my flooring in already (Yeap I had another DUhhh Moment :lol: ).

Thanks Deb and Brenda, I hope that is the problem you are having :p

<giggling> Tracy, I had that same problem with the Lily. It took me awhile to figure out that I was trying to fit the staircase tab into the slot for the wall partition. And amazingly, as soon as I figured that out, it fixed the problem with the wall being crooked! Go figure. :lol:

Deb

<swatting you with a roll of wallpaper> :lol: Don't ever feel dumb! We all do those things no matter how many houses we've built. And you're doing just great!! Taking on a house as big as the Pierce for a first time takes a lot of courage, but you're sailing right along with it and doing great.

Have you done a dry fit yet? That really helps with getting a feel for how the parts assemble before you start gluing things together. A dry fit is where you put all the walls and floors together with just tape holding them together. When I start a house, I do a dry fit first, then take digi pictures of it from all angles so I can look back at them when I start building in case I have any doubts when I start gluing. It's also a great way of marking off where your wallpaper is going to go, any changes you want to make and any shaving of tabs and slots that you might need to do to get a snug fit.

Deb

(ducks) ouch! :lol: teehee...never thought I 'd get hit by a roll of wallpaper on here! lol...

That's a really great idea, Deb. I'd never thought of doing a "dry fit" - well, that is I never heard of it before till now. I think I will do just that!

Okay, I've got the itch! Off to my dollhouse and the start of my dry fit. :p

Well, I suppose I should make dinner first though....decisions, decisions!! :D

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on taking on the Pierce. I really wanted to get the Garfield, but I didn't want to throw that much money into my first dollhouse, as I was going to do this as a learning project. I originally thought of getting the Laurel with the Primrose, but I kept returning to the Pierce because I thought it looks so beautiful.

Okay, I've got the itch! Off to my dollhouse and the start of my dry fit. :lol:

<handing you a pencil> Take this along. You can make light notes on the wood and erase them later.

You're absolutely right that the Pierce is a beauty. It was the second house I built so I can say in all honesty that it's not too overwhelming for someone new to building. You'll gain more confidence with every step.

Dinner? <cackle> Two words. Dominoes delivers.

Deb

<swatting you with a roll of wallpaper> :lol: Don't ever feel dumb! We all do those things no matter how many houses we've built.

Deb

Yep, and Jimmy STILL puts walls in backwards! And we've built A LOT of houses--not as many as Tracy, but a lot, LOL! We all do that. What gets me is when I put wallpaper in upside down ....

What gets me is when I put wallpaper in upside down ....

<giggling> Is that a side effect of turning houses upside down to paint them? <ducking and running>

Deb

<giggling> Is that a side effect of turning houses upside down to paint them? <ducking and running>

Deb

<grabbing paint brushees and throwing them after Deb as she runs> <oh good, one got her--lucky for Deb it was a dry paint brush and not the one I had dipped in the paint to paint the dollhouse workshop>

Ah, no. That is when I paint the ceiling the wall color ... I usually put the wallpaper upside down when the house is upright though, if that makes any sense. Of course it doesn't.

:p ROFL!!!!!! :D

oops, i didn't mean to start a battle of dollhouse supplies in here!!! just make sure you don't start flinging glue at people. or.... (horrors!!!) exacto knives! yikes! :lol:

okay, so dinner won out. i'm making it right now actually. but as soon as it's done, it's off to the wonderful world of dollhouse making. ;)

That is when I paint the ceiling the wall color ... I usually put the wallpaper upside down when the house is upright though, if that makes any sense. Of course it doesn't.
Oddly enough, that does make sense. ;) But then, you're left handed and so is Bruce so I'm used to seeing the flip-flops like that.

:p ROFL!!!!!! :D

oops, i didn't mean to start a battle of dollhouse supplies in here!!! just make sure you don't start flinging glue at people. or.... (horrors!!!) exacto knives! yikes! :lol:

Oh, we do that all the time. When Tracy held her landscaping class, we all had slingshots so we could fling the rocks around. :D

<casually picking up the paint brush Linda threw> Cool!! I've been looking for one like this!! <wandering back off to the studio>

Deb

What gets me is when I put wallpaper in upside down ....

Oh I hate this too!! This is why I started back painting or using clay on the walls. Once I did not realize I had done this until I was listing the house on ebay and I went back looking at the pictures I had taken and I could not beleive my eyes.

I wonder why things are noticable through the cameras eye but missed by my own :lol: I do wear glasses :p but sheesh, this is a problem for me all of the time!

I went back looking at the pictures I had taken and I could not beleive my eyes.

I know what you mean Tracy!! Everything looks great to the naked eye, but take a picture of it and there's the mistake or the ugly or whatever staring right back at ya!! :lol:

Deb, I'm amazed at your dollhouse prowess! :p

After reading all these comments about doing things AB, I don't feel so bad! That's the way I do everything, and one of the reasons I never have liked to do things like sewing...too much ripping out after making mistakes! But somehow the minis have just kept calling my name and it's impossible to ignore them...they have such sweet little seductive voices!1 :lol: :p

I figure I'll be so old by the time I finish my Garfield, I'll not be able to see any errors, either with the naked eye...not so naked, anyway, if you count trifocals on them right now!...or through a camera lens. :lol:

Since the dollhouse is MY dollhouse, I figure it can look however I want it to look. I decided long ago that, if anyone comments about a crooked floor or wall or something, I'll remind them "it's a San Francisco Victorian; it's been through a couple of earthquakes!".. and let it go... :)