I just gotta say . . .

MiniMadWoman

. . . that I went into "Darrell's Electrification Super Guide" again tonight and I'm totally amazed. He's so good! I'm having problems with my lighting and I think with his help I just might be able to get it fixed and running properly! Thanks again Darrell!! :)

If you haven't been in there yet, check it out here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i..._key=*&st=0

it is only because of Darrell that my haunted house and Mckinley has electricty

tytytytyty

and it may have to help me on the MHM :) that dern DH not gonna move on this project...

mom to the rescue!

nutti :D

and it may have to help me on the MHM :) that dern DH not gonna move on this project...

mom to the rescue!

nutti :D

<picking up a trumpet and blowing a cavalry charge> Go Nutti!!! That poor house has just been waiting for you to come to it's rescue.

I totally agree about Darrell's electric tutorial. I never could have figured out tape wiring without it. I'd look at a step in his tutorial, run back to the studio to do it and then run back to the computer to look at the next step. Thanks to Darrell, I see the light!! :D

Deb

Darrelll deserves a great big chocolate chip cookie!

His tutorial helped so much that i can almost electrify a house without any instructions, and with one hand tied behind my back!

Nutti..dont feed him! That will get him moving. When he says what is for dinner, had him a plate full of brads and tapewire!

I'll sound a 21-gun salute in honor of Darrell's tape wire tutorial ... It's soooooo complete and so completely logical! Thank you, Darrell, for taking the time to put it together!

. . . that I went into "Darrell's Electrification Super Guide" again tonight and I'm totally amazed. He's so good! I'm having problems with my lighting and I think with his help I just might be able to get it fixed and running properly! Thanks again Darrell!! :)

If you haven't been in there yet, check it out here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i..._key=*&st=0

First off I wanna say hello and I'm new and your houses look great but, your Beacon Hill is amazing.

COOKIES? WHERE?

Thank all of you for your kind words. I'm on vacation this week so I actually have time to respond. I had a few reasons for doing the wiring tutorial.

1) While all the instructions I'd see were correct, there were "little problems" they don't mention that you can only learn about by DOING. Most instructions never include "warning type hints" as the manufacturer feels such negative suggestions may detract from the percieved value ot their product. I disagree and think if you KNOW of potential problems up front, and anticipate them the product (and your results) will both be fine.

2) I love the hobby and like sharing any little tips or tricks I've learned along the way with anyone. I don't care about praise, or recognition, or fame, though fortune would be nice. LOL! I just like the enjoyment of knowing I've helped someone else accomplish something they like.

3) As we age I have heard that our memory tends to suffer. So anticipating such a problem I thought it would be nice to save all the information in a form I could understand when I"m old.

But seriously. thanks. As I come across more things related I may add to it from time to time.

smiles,

Darrell

Darrell, I just spent the afternoon rewiring my BH because of faulty electricity. LOL!! Darn cheap contractors! :D

Anyway, I printed all your instructions and I have to say they couldn't have been more complete or helpful. I do have one question for you though . . . my BH is also round-wired because I have each light on a different switch. One connection is attached to the purple strip with a brad nail and the other connection is attached to the round wire which goes to the switch. My problem is this . . . the round wire connection is UGLY! :) I just layed it on the floor next to the pretty brad nail connection and taped over it with black electrical tape. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks!!

Elaine, welcome and thank you!! :D

Elaine,

Well, my suggestion would be to lose the round wire altogether and just use tape wire. There are switches, made especially for the tape wire. They work pretty good too. Here's how to do it, although I don't have any pictures of it.

You have a WORKING tape run. Run one tape off of that run to the location of your light, making sure the tape goes over the place you want to install the switch. Usually on a wall, near a doorway in most houses.

Note that the tape must reach the switch location BEFORE it reaches the light location. Install the light with brads in each tape and make sure it works. Once you know the light and tape are working properly you can then install the switch.

AT the switch location, cut ONE and ONLY ONE of the conductors. You only need to cut out about 1/16" of an inch. You just want to remove enough to break the circuit open and not have the remaining conductor material on either side accidentally make contact.

Now press (pound, push, or ??) or otherwise do whatever it takes to install the slide switch DIRECTLY OVER THIS CUT. There are two pins on the back of the slide switch and you want one of them to press into the conductor on EACH SIDE of the cut.

That's it. The switch slides over internal contacts and completes the circuit across the cut. Slide the switch in the other direction and the internal contact is broken and the electricity no longer flows. Now except for the switch and the light you have all nice, flat, EASY-TO-HIDE tape wire.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of this but if it's not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to draw out a sketch of it for you. Otherwise, for everyone else the next time I do any major wiring I'll try to be sure to include wiring in a switch in the pictorial. But I don't currently have any switches anyway. LOL!

Hope it helps with your little glitch.

smiles,

Darrell