Screwing twice?

mattdick

I am doing the Country Victorian (thanks so much for your previous responses everyone), and the current instructions I face tell me that I am to attach the hinges on the main sections of the house, and then to remove all the screws. This is my very first dollhouse, but having done lots of other construction, I am hesitant to screw twice into this pressboard for such a structural component. Isn't it very likely that I will compromise how tightly I can attach those hinges if I put in screws and then back them all back out again? Can I not just leave the hinges attached and assemble the house this way?

Thanks again,

Matt

I had a RGT front opening Woodstock, plus I made my San Fran have front opening windows on a hing. On the Woodstock I did screw it once, but things didn't line up for me, so when i screwed them in for good - they were different holes. On my San Fran I only screwed in once. I was afraid the wood would fall apart if I messed with it too much. It has been a few years since the Woodstock, but if you could get a way with waiting until it can stay, I would. Probably not very much help!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

As I had the same reaction you did about screwing the screws in twice in the same location, I took a chance and just screwed the screws in once. I took extra time in preparation. It just so happened to work out just fine for me. But that is just my opinion.

Wouldn't screwing the same connection twice tend to chew up the wood so you'd have too loose connections? I like the advice about using wood glue along with the second screwing, but what about using painter's tape or masking tape for the first assembly?