Artply Worthington

Just One More

This house which is bigger than all my houses is starting to be a real problem. It has few tabs and slots which means using twice as much glue and tape to make sure it stays together. I got the shell all together and it appears stable. The worst problem is the windows. The instructions, which are really poor, assume you will stick them on the house while assembling them. I managed to get the bays all together without attaching to the house and all I can say is I really don't like them. The cross pieces, mullions, are a little over 1/4 inch wide which means in real life they would be over four inches. This is not to scale for a realistic looking house. They look like toy windows. I decided to fill in each of the sides of the window openings and cut them a little higher to fit in more finished realistic looking windows. Upstairs also. Shutters will hide any patched areas. I don't have the money right now so the house is on hold. I sanded and painted one of the bays just to see if I could use them but it just looks too big to me and I wouldn't be happy with them.

The stairs that come with this house are toy-like also, nine steps, where the average is 11 to 13 for a nine inch ceiling. I knew about that before I got it and I had better stairs but no extra windows laying around. For such a nice house otherwise, this is really disappointing. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean- I had some of the same issues with my Artply Barrington. I ended up replacing ALL of the windows- even had to get special-order skinny windows for the turret! :) But it was worth it! I don't care for that "toy" look of many kits, so I usually replace windows and sometimes the stairs.

I HATE the tab and slot of the Artply houses! Once they are dry I covered them with wood putty. I remember one section totally was off-kilter and I had to cut off the tab so it would fit together correctly. :blink: I even had to do that with the Highland...but that also had a warping issue.

The other thing I don't like about Artply houses are the rough edges which are a bugger to sand! In my Highland, I lined the inside of all the (lg. plate)windows with stripwood, and with both houses tried to finish any rough edged walls with trim. Very tedious, but the overall look is much better!

I think I have some stairs stashed in one of my mini storage drawers if you need some! :p

The Hobby Lobby stairs fit just right. I made the opening a little wider for the railing. It's on hold for a bit. I have to order another 15 light window for the front. I don't like to pay shipping for just one item so I'll wait til I have a bigger order. I'm leaving off both wings. It's still bigger than any of my other houses. I didn't like the step down to what would have been the kitchen and in the room above, the roof doesn't come over enough. This house had just two tabs where the front went into the base. The entire side wall just glued to the base with no tabs and you taped it to the front. The floors add some stability with some small tabs and slots but I'm re-enforcing the side wall bases. The GL houses are much better structurally. Do you have pics of your houses?

• 1 year later...

Could any of you help me out and possibly, somehow get me a copy of the instructions for this dollhouse? I posted yesterday about my need for these instructions:I have searched and searched and searched. I even emailed a few members who have mentioned they have the instructions. Here's the deal. I aquired this house from a friend who said she had it in her garage and it had just been sitting there since 1995. I was more than welcome to come and get it. So of course I did. Her father used to own a hobby shop in my area way back in the day but really this dollhouse had nothing to do with that as he specialized in train sets. He passed and she is clearly still hurting from the loss 2 years later. I went and picked up this dollhouse and relized what I picked up. This is not some mediocre dollhouse. I just built the Pierce so there is no need for me to be greedy, I already have a super fab house.

After I got home and pulled this dollhouse out of it's packaging, it "spoke to me" as many people have mentioned that these dollhouses sometimes do. I just have never, until now, experienced this phenomenonen.

This is not my dollhouse but I am to build it. I have decided to build this house and then donate it to the pediatric ward of the hospital her father passed in, in his name/memory; Anyone who could possibly help me out and send me the instructions would essentially be a huge contributer to this whole endevar. Thank you all in advance.

I swore I would never get another kit because I have such a backlog of unbuilt kits that I really want to build, and I don't yet have anywhere to work on my minis since we moved; but I would sell a kid to get the Worthington!

Hi Michelle, I hope somebody can help you with this project and it is a lovely idea to donate it as you suggest. Even if somebody does not want to send the instructions maybe they would be willign to photocopy them for you. Good luck and please keep in touch, we would love to see some pictures as you go along.

Could any of you help me out and possibly, somehow get me a copy of the instructions for this dollhouse? I posted yesterday about my need for these instructions:I have searched and searched and searched. I even emailed a few members who have mentioned they have the instructions. Here's the deal. I aquired this house from a friend who said she had it in her garage and it had just been sitting there since 1995. I was more than welcome to come and get it. So of course I did. Her father used to own a hobby shop in my area way back in the day but really this dollhouse had nothing to do with that as he specialized in train sets. He passed and she is clearly still hurting from the loss 2 years later. I went and picked up this dollhouse and relized what I picked up. This is not some mediocre dollhouse. I just built the Pierce so there is no need for me to be greedy, I already have a super fab house.

After I got home and pulled this dollhouse out of it's packaging, it "spoke to me" as many people have mentioned that these dollhouses sometimes do. I just have never, until now, experienced this phenomenonen.

This is not my dollhouse but I am to build it. I have decided to build this house and then donate it to the pediatric ward of the hospital her father passed in, in his name/memory; Anyone who could possibly help me out and send me the instructions would essentially be a huge contributer to this whole endevar. Thank you all in advance.

Hi Michelle!

Are you needing instructions for the Worthington, or Barrington? They are 2 different houses, and I would hate for you to get the wrong instructions!