1920's flooring

Audra

...Holly - I know I won't make it to the library - unless I start pulling my hair out or more of it turns gray!...
There's always Amazon...

I'm seeing vignettes, not that this'll be any help.

It's the late 40's, dad came home from fighting WW2, and decided he wanted to go live in the great wilderness, like Montana, Colorado, etc.

They now live in a rundown old house out in the Rockies. Mom is tending to the big old Victorian stove. It's a pain in the neck, but she can handle it. She used to build airplanes during the war, so dealing with an old stove and old plumbing is going to be a breeze. She usually wears dungarees around the house, with a scarf over her head and one of her husband's old shirts. This new life of hers can get pretty dirty.

Junior is in the living room, lying on the floor, listening to the radio, one of those big console models.

Dad is upstairs in the bathtub, having a good hot soak. He had been doing some hunting, rustling up dinner, and his wife said he stunk and no kisses till he was nice and clean and didn't smell like a skunk.

Gun rack fits in good, see? Also old stove and bathroom, together with mix of old and not so old furniture.

What's on the top floor? beat up old furniture and some suitcases. Is mom a wilderness gal, or is she going to one day say enough is enough?

DH has an uncle from near Richland, GA, who was stationed at the Brooklyn Navy Yard during WWII and met and married a local girl. After the war the Navy sent him home and he sent for his bride. (She told us this story a few years ago) When she got off the train the family met her with a mule-drawn wagon and took her out to the house where they had prepared a good ol' South Georgia feast on the Roper range and she told us the table and sideboard were loaded with food, and she had no idea what any of it was!

The top floor of the house I was thinking like an attice/sewing area. But I need to get past this kitchen to look and see if it is right. I do like your idea of a

vignette (after I looked up the word to see exactly what it meant)

:lol: Did I mention how great you guys are? So last night in my frustration, I actually READ the pages of Viconrain Dollhouses. Who would have thunk that there would be a weath of information in there on kitchens alone? I can type some of what I read if you like- (I have a wealth of information in the book. It is amazing. There a about 4 pages of information that were very helpfull (you guys were very helpfull too - I would have pitched the whole idea if it were for you! I just typed in a few of the things that jumped out at me. There is so much more about center tables and china, pie safes...

"...plain off white walls and a well scrubbed floor dictated the overall look of the room."

"wall and celings are finished in off white and the woodwork of the door,dresser, china closet and wainscoting are painted similarly...The emphasis was on cleanliness and hygiene and as a result forms are comparatively plain and easy to keep clean."

"Ease of cleanliness, efficiency and a certain cheerfulness beacame ill-important factors. Walls were painted in neutral colors of beige, cream or gray.

Sometimes wallpaper might be hung and subsequently varnished in orderto be cleaned eaily. Floors were often of oiled and varnished hardwood with a hard base insert for the stove...decorated oilcloths might soften the appearance. the advent oflinoleum was was recieved as it was even easier to clean"

So I have a few floors in mind for the kitchen. I think a couple may actually be wallpaper, not flooring - but it caught my eye. For the lighter two (the blue and turquoise) I would imagine I can dirty them up some with diluted cream paint. I have not figured that part yet, but I think I am in the right direction - thanks to you guys!

You guys can tell me what tile you think would work best. I do like the turquoise one, but it may be too busy

bathroom011sample.jpg victorian%20007sample.jpg victorian053sample.jpg

Does it need to be strictly 20's Audra? I love that Chrysnbon stove and those brown and turquoise papers are georgeous. I just put in what I like. My FH that I am working on now has in the kitchen a late 80's stove, a wooden ice box and claw foot table and chairs that look like the Chrysnbon Victorian set and a wicker seating area. The mood of the room for me trumps the period. I'd hate to give up that georgeous set of papers. But some people are purists.

Honestly, I am still in love with the turquoise. I had a struggle much like you Audra where I first envisioned my Garfield being a traditional Victorian but each day as I build it seems I get new ideas.(my house has been talking to me :lol: ) I am now realizing that I will personally be happier if I put decor and finishings that I like rather then trying to force myself to focus on a certain era. In the end it is your house and should be your vision, filled with things you would like and enjoy seeing each day. Unless like Joane said and you are a "purist" and have your heart set on replicating that specific era. Good luck with all your choices, sometimes i think it would be easier if we did not have so many options......but then all our houses would look the same and what fun would that be. :-P

This thread has been so much fun to read and Jeff's site was very informative! I noticed that a lot of the kitchens pictured in Jeff's site had painted furniture with "folklore" designs and i suddenly remembered my Grandmother's kitchen which had Pennsylvania Dutch decals on all the cabinets. Her house was built in the 20s but since I didn't come along until the 50s I don't know how long the decals had been there.

Just an idea for a realistic linoleum floor - cover the flooring paper with clear contact paper, makes the floor look like its been waxed a lot!

I really do like the turquois, but I was wondering about using that in the bathroom with beadboard and the matching paper (then I get to use the paper) I am actually leaning towards this one for the floor:

victorian053sample.jpg I don't think I will end up being a purist. Some things just jump out at me (like the ugly brown flooring) I can't imagine I will do another older style home again, as this has really cause the TMJ to act up -over a dollhouse! I have the pieces that I want displayed and will get some more to make them what I think they should be. Then later we can decide what period it will be from. Heck - I could always shake things up a bit and add a lava lamp!

Well of course you must go with what you and the house want! Asking for opinions is merely to help you realize whether you really love your choices, and guides you toward making a decision.

Thanks Holly. All of your advice/suggestions have really helped. I am getting anxious to stop talking about it, and being able to get it done! (or started)