Building an artply allison.. sort of

Behbet

So, this is the first dollhouse I have ever worked on! My mom and I are building it together. I'm doing all the painting, including picking out the colors and everything, and for everything else she is mostly just telling me what to do and how to do it and I'm doing it.

The kit we have is an artply allison kit. But we are using different doors and windows, and trim, because the doors and windows that come with it are just ugly. So basically the only thing we're actually using from the kit is the walls. And we're adding siding to it.

I got one pack of siding already but when I cut it to fit the walls it turns out it wasn't enough, so I ordered more. And I also ordered this hexagon window to go at the top of the apex but it hasn't come in yet either.

So, I have some pictures of the progress so far.

The windows, doors and siding, after I painted them:

dollhouseandrandom012.jpg

dollhouseandrandom018.jpg

I kind of taped the walls together and stuck the doors and windows in just to show how it's going to look:

002.jpg

This is the siding for one of the side walls, with the window in it.. yes there's a hole under the window but my mom is going to make a window box with some flowers to go there so it won't show.

siding001.jpg

And really now just kind of waiting for stuff to come in the mail so we can continue working on it.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I have a couple of questions if any of you experienced dollhouse makers want to give me some advice.

First is, for the siding, to glue it onto the walls, what kind of glue is recommended? Regular wood glue? Or something else? I have clamps to clamp it on after gluing it, I'm just not really sure what kind of glue to use.

And second, for those big windows, I guess they are called shop windows or something like that, they came with the plexiglass to go in them but there's no instructions or anything for how to actually attach the plexiglass inside the windows. So I should glue it or something? What kind of glue do you use to attach plexiglass to wood?

If I'm going to use siding strips for clapboard siding, I don't prime or seal the exterior walls, since I use wood glue to adhere wood to wood and it doesn't stick to paint or sealer as well as it does to bare wood. Of course, I don't install doors or windows until after I've done whatever I'm going to do to the walls, interior or exterior, since I'm a klutzy painter and no way could I prime or paint siding without getting it all over the windows/ doors. What bright, pretty colors your trims are. What color will your siding be?

havanaholly- the siding is in the picture, it's purple.. I painted it, and then cut it, and I'm going to glue it on. There's no way I could put all the stuff together and then paint it, it would be a mess and way harder than painting it first. Too bad I already gesso'd the walls, I hope the glue sticks. I guess if it doesn't I'll have to figure something else out. Thanks for your reply.

mesp2k- Thanks! And if you do start working on your Allison again, post pictures!

Oh yeah, one other thing I forgot to mention.. the style I'm going for with this house is like a New Orleans house. So that's why I picked such bright colors. For the inside of the house I'm going to decorate it with some New Orleans stuff too.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been having a blast visiting the Bennetts here in NOLA, and where the houses are being repaired & replaced in the Ninth Ward and other post-Katrina areas, there are some truly colorful homes; but I think some paint company must have donated an ocean of Pepto-Pink paint!

• 4 years later...

hello, I will be building this house as well. I am very excited to see how things turn out. Your house looks like it will be quite wonderful. May I ask what type of paint you use to paint it?

This post is more than 4 years old, so you may not get a direct response. As to what kind of paint to use, some of us use satin-finish house paint, others use acrylic craft paints ... whatever works for you and gives a finish you like is fine. :D