Rik's Tile floor method question

hydroped

Hi all,

Well I just spent the last hour going through my old DHM magazines looking for the floor instructions that Rik Pierce had in there a while back. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm looking in the right Magazine though. Does anyone happen to remember if it was in DHM and if so what issue it was? I can't even remember what the cover looked like but so far I've come up empty and I know I have this issue. Bought some floor tile today and trying to remember how he does it heh. My main concern is that the tile is smaller than the bottom floor of the house... I'm wondering how they piece together without leaving a visible seam.. or can they be pieced together without a noticable seam?

-David

David,I don't know about the magazine, but Tracy did that method in her Coventry. Here is the link. I hope this is the one you were looking for.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...p;showentry=601

If this doesn't take you straight to the floor blog it's titled Stone Floor

David --

I assume you're looking for the faux marble from vinyl tile? It's in DHM December 2005 pages 35-36. :lol: I think if you have a floor larger than the tile, you'll need to cut out a border or using the same thru the first layer technique piece it together. BTW, I got some tiles from Lowes that are 18" squares of marble look, so if you want to try it all in one piece and it's 18" or less, you might want to visit them.

And, before you admire my steel-trap memory :blink: I will readily admit that I scanned the entire article and have it on a file on my PC. Do let me know how it works for you -- I've bought some tiles and I'm kinda hestitant to try it.

Thanks Peggi and Charlene :lol:

Yep that's the article alright and I was sure there was a blog for it but couldn't find it - thanks for the link Peggi :o I kind of wish I'd bought a different X-acto blade to cut this with. I gave up looking for my issue and started in cutting already but I can already see the wayTracy did it is a LOT easier than I'm doing heh. I guess I need to buy some pencils :blink:

Thanks again!!

David

its always good to have peoples remind of us of really good information found right here on our lil ole forum!

I too want to try this method...I just keep forgetting to buy those dern tiles.

ok David I saw Teresa doing this in the blog so I want to see a step by step from you also.

maybe by seeing the photos over and over Ill get the courage up to do it myself!

good luck!

nutti :blink:

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for letting me know that - I was worried about how much it would show. It's good to know it isn't that noticable. I had thought of scribing the stones and when I get to the end cut the tile at the scribe lines so the tiles would fit to gether sort of like a jigsaw puzzle with the ends being hopefully hidden in the grooves between stones.. but I haven't gotten quite that far yet... actually I haven't gotten anywhere near that far yet heh but I'll keep working on it.

Oh yea - the first part of the floor is in my blog.. I'll get more posted when I get more finished - This is a lot slower going than I'd thought it would be but I'm alot more impressed with the results than I thought I would be - my only complaint right now is that I wish I coudl have found a pencil in the house. What kind of house has No pencil anywhere?? :lol: Mine :blink: I'm starting to find that crayon will sort of work though :o We've got those!

-David

I also want to thank Peggi for the link. I hunted for it one time a while back and couldn't find it anywhere.

David, I can't wait to see your floors. I've been itching to try it too and like nutti, I keep forgetting to buy the tiles. I'm off to read your blog so far.

Good luck.

The seams really does not show when you cut the stone lines in it. We did it this exact way in my dungeon class with rik and I only know which side was what because I have pictures before I put in the second half of the floor.

You are doing GREAT David!