Beaded door

IAK

I was thinking about making a door out of beads to separate 3rd floor bedroom in my Garfield from the bathroom. Has anybody done this and what did you use? I have a few ideas but looking for some suggestions from you creative people.

Ooo! I never thought of doing that for dh. Nat has a old wooden beaded curtain that is threaded on a wooden frame at top. I just screwed it into the frame. Another yard sale find!

I want to give this some thought. You could use the teeny tiny beads that are used for jewelery making. They have very thin thread or you could use a very small weight of fishing line.

If you want to see a pic of Nat`s beaded curtain, Let me know!

I know this isn't exactly what you mean, but using those small "jewelry" beads glued onto transparency would make a really cool door or window. If you used larger clear plastic beads you could come up with a really cool opaque glass wall like the kind you see in fancy bathrooms. You could really make a cool window pattern if you planned it well - not stained glass, but cool and the design would be easier to manage for those of use who have trouble drawing stick figures.

that is such a neat idea! I found some teenie tiny beads at Michaels a couple of years ago in the sewing section. When i say tiny, i mean teennnniiieeee tiny! I bought them to make jewelry for my barbies. still have the barbies, still have the beads. no jewelry as of yet :D they come in a variety of pretty colors!

Although I clicked on the link and it only shows the picture no instructions

:D If you go to my McKinley gallery and click on the beadcurtain "thumbnail" in the photostrip the instructions are at the top of the picture. I'm sorry, it was late when I linked that. The buglebeads have silvered linings in their holes so they look metallic.

What I did, so you don't have to go look it up, was to cut a length of 1/8" diameter round dowel and paint it purple. I wrapped the very ends with strips of masking tape to keep the threads from slipping off so I wouldn't be tempted into sin (I've been known to turn the air around me into toxic indigo smog) and threaded a needle with sewing thread and knotted a metallic bead at the end. I then strung the beads on in a more-or-less random pattern of the same series of shapes & colors with more of the brass-colored beads for interest. When I had a long enough string I tied the end to the dowel & cut the thread. Every four or five threads I stopped and ran a bead of Elmer's across the knots. When it was dry I clipped the thread "tails". When the dowel was full of bead strings I removed the masking tape and glued it into the top of the door frame.