Question about a mini pirate ship?

Olivia

Hello everyone! So...I've been working on my Garfierld since Jan and it's going great...but now my boyfriend is inspired watching me assemble and tackle this project and after taking him along with me to our local miniature shop he got very excited and asked me if it would be possible for him to do a 1/12 scale pirate ship. I thought it was a great idea seeing as how we both just saw Pirates of the Carribean 2 (which was so wonderful) and we were both inspired by the idea.

So I looked for kits first on Ebay...and although I found many Pirate ships and kits, none seemed to be available in 1/12 scale. They are all 1/77 or 1/100 and such. It would just be easier since we are both beginners if we could work in the same scale. So, I was just wondering if any of you know where I may find such a thing?

I tried a general yahoo search and google as well, but it was the same results as Ebay for the most part. You guys are the mini pros and I figured if anyone would know....the wonderful people on this forum would. Thanks in advance to anyone that has any ideas or help.

Sincerely,

-Olivia

Hi Olivia! I haven't seen a 1:12 scale pirate ship, but it sounds like a really great project! Tracy has a really cool dragon ship in her store here but I don't know if its 1:12 (altho it is totally cool and I keep thinking I'm going to have to build one someday) Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help you with the pirate ship. There are some others here who venture into minis other than houses. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Deb

Last year or so someone on the DHM forum was making a roombox of a pirate ship's hold with pirate & treasure chest & a few appropriate furnishings & fittings, but the thread got bogged down in what kind of sequins to use for doubloons & I don't know if it ever got built. I think an entire pirate ship in 1:12 would be an awesome undertaking, probably close to the size of RGT's Queen Anne II.

It would be awesome to do a ship, cutaway on one side & finished on the other, like the one built for the movie "The Life Aquatic". In fact, your BF might want to do some internet searches for schematics for a pirate ship to build his own "from scratch", since I don't know if anyone makes a 1:12 scale kit.

Hi Olivia. Love Cpt Jack -- what a hoot!

This would be a really fun project to involve your guy in. But, y'know searching for scale models of ships probably won't turn up a 1:12 scale kit. One of the problems is that folks who model these are into the exact detail and and an exact detailed replica of a ship in 1:12 would be HUGE -- a ship 100 feet long in reality would be over 8 feet in 1:12. That's why the models you're hitting on are such small scale. And dollhouse versions found in a search are more than likely going to be plastic toys. Maybe someone else here has some ideas, but my suggestion would be to search for the plans for a model ship instead of a kit and then enlarge the dimensions to 1:24 or 1:48 if you're looking for the replica. Or, if what you want is the effect of a pirate ship, design your own. The current issue (August) of Dollhouse Miniatures has a lot of nautical themed stuff, including pirates, so that might give you some inspiration.

Hi Olivia,

Charlene is right about the size - it would be a huge ship in 1:12 scale - but though plans in that scale may not be available plans are available in other scales - from there you can take them Jim's Hobby Calculator and convert them (one measurement at a time)into 1:12 scale. They may take some tracking down but I'd start with Ebay and see what you can find I know there are at least 2 different ship modler's magazines that were available and they had scale plans inside each issue - also they sold plans for larger ships. The magazines to search for are Ships In Scale Magazine ( sometimes reffered to as Seaway's Ships in Scale), and Model Ship Builder . I've heard there was also one called Model Shipwright Magazine but I don't believe I've seen that one. I do have a few back issues of the other two and they're pretty impressive magazines.

I also did a quick google search for ship plans and came up with this site - looks like it may have some very interresting links:

Ship Modelers' Forum Links page

I hope you let us know what you guys find out there - a scale ship would be awesome! Pretty big but Awesome!!

-David :D

Here's an awesome pirate ship. Don't know how much time or money he wants to spend,

but this is one that looks authentic and that would satisfy any detail-oriented mini enthusiast!

www.handcraftedmodelships.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-model-ship.php

Only one drawback -- it comes fully assembled. If he wanted the fun of putting it together, he wouldn't have the enjoyment of doing that!

Then theres this ship: http://naturecoast.com/hobby/occre.htm#CORSAIR

If your boyfriend wants to play along with you, he should be looking at 1:72 pirate ships.

Why?

Because that would be the scale of a 1:12 child's Barbie or GI Joe. So you can still shop for (or make) accessories together.

Alternatively, look for 1:87 kits (HO-scale for model railroads, also fairly common in other models). This is closer to Blythe size for your dollhouse children, but it means there are lots of furniture and animals and figures that both of you can use.

Agree with the above, some things are simply not made to be reproduced at 1/12th, unless you're really into the subject. F'rinstance a lake freighter, at 600', at 1/12th would be 50' long, though it would be an impressive model. As for scale, check on the modeling websites, you're into modeling more than minis now, most ships are made to standardized scales and you can get accessories and people and all kinds off stuff for them. Ships and armor (tanks and the like) are about the most popular modeling subjects, cars close, heck Boyd has a line of model car paints put out by Testors. Planes are big too, it's the sci-fi guys that get the bums rush. Mega Hobbies has a great selection. I've heard Squadron is great for accessories of all scales, like blokes.