Adding a window

kandykidsaturn

Do you have a dremel tool? If you do, and have the perpendicular saw attachment (only $15.00 and you can find them both at Home Depot), putting in a new window can be a snap.

If you don't have a dremel...it's very tedious but you could drill a zillion holes all around a shape you trace for the window..and tease out the window with a craft knife. The edge of the cutout would be ragged tho, and you'd have to sand it to linear smoothness..so you would cut the window slightly smaller and sand your way out to a smooth edge.

To read about dremel tools go here .

MM :)

I just used a utility knife to cut an opening in the FF's wall to insert a french door...however the wall is not assembled to anything so I laid it down on a desk, traced the pattern from the door and cut along the trace... you have to make a couple of scores to get through the wood, but then it's easy...put a ruler against your knife to keep the cuts straight to the line you drew...

I also usually use a utility knife, although a Dremel is probably a lot easier!

If you're adding a Houseworks type window then you won't have to worry about the cut being perfect, since the window slides into the hole and the trim covers imperfections.

I used the dremel on mine was very wonky and rough cut...because i'm no good with it :) but ended up looking fab :) i tried the craft knife...it would of worked eventually but ya really need a flat surface and mine was built already :)