Paint Hates Me

Nameless1

Okay, I've reached the point of desperation here.

I was painting Marva and Brian's nursery, which is this room:

post-5-1150987778_thumb.jpg

In painting the floor "tea green," I got messy and decided to paint the walls green too. Bad idea! So I repainted in "wicker white," which turned out to be only semi-opaque and in three coats had not covered the green. And it's too bright a white. I tried mixing the wicker with opaque "oyster," but that didn't cover either.

I'm reluctant to just wallpaper, and the can of housepaint I used on the building as a whole is rusted shut -- though if I wait until tonight, I could just insist that the husband pry it open, as I have to do touch-up on the real walls anyway.

Is there something obvious I'm missing about the paint problem? Why won't anything cover green?

Dunno Calamari. My guess would be that the green and the white were two different paints[latex, oil, acrylic], and so the white had difficulty covering. I don't know how dark the green was either. Not that it helps you now [although I think the room is gorgeous!], if I'm changing one color to another color [like blue to green], I first put one coat of white paint over the one color before I use the other color. If I am changing any color to white, I put one coat of kilz primer instead of white paint, and then paint.

I don't know if this would work or not but in planning for the big old house I have in the garage.. that I haven't worked on yet :) I bought a small tub of Kilz - see the walls are Bright And Dark, green, blue and yellow. blech. I don't know if the kilz leaves brush or roller marks cause like I said I didn't get it worked on, but it should cover any color.. I don't know how it goes on over and oil based paint though either. Sorry I'm not much help here but thought I'd toss the idea of Kilz out there.

-David

Actually looks good in the picture.

But if you are having trouble the easiest fix is to give it a coat of mat grey or white undercoat after a light sanding. This will cover almost anything and then you can paint with anything final coat you want.

Just decide whether you’re going to use acrylic or enamel and use that for both undercoat and topcoat.

A spray can of grey sanding primer will cover ANYTHING you want for the dollhouse room and is easy to apply.

Glen

Alas, that's the BEFORE, as in BEFORE any paint -- sorry for the confusion! (I wasn't kidding about being in a state of distraction...)

I think I'll get DH to open the house paint when he gets home tomorrow. It's too hot here to move...

I would recommend a coat or two of Kilz primer then paint what color you would like. mask off where you don't want the paint to go while you are painting either the floor or walls. it will be great! :)