Furred cats and dogs

alycemina

Anyone know how the several artists selling on ebay make animals with fur? Is it just patience putting on a few "hairs" at a time, or is there a secret? I have a couple of cats and a dog, but they are getting more expensive and I'd like to try it myself. I am pretty sure I can do the FIMO base to get the general form, it is the furring that I am wondering about. Thanks Alyce

there is a workshop online somewhere by one of the artisans, but can't remember who it was.

they take a really tiny dab of glue, put it on the base, smear it out so it is thinner, wait a while and then put on the hair, a tiny bit at a time.

they work in layers, from the back to the head.

i tried it myself but it is very difficult to not get glue mixed up with the fur,

and it is very time consuming.

but i think it certainly is worth a try, wishing you succes with making your own animals, would be great if you succeed! :lol:

oww, forgot: they put the glue on with the point of a toothpick, but be carefull, you often tend to pick up too much glue.

and i guess they use flock, the kind of stuff you can use on dollshouse shoes.

I remember one of Alice Zinn's trip reports on Small Stuff when she went to a mini show in Japan, talking about furring dogs the night before the show! Basically once the wee smear of glue is ready the fur is fanned out and the ends touched to the glue, and when it has set the sxcess fur is trimmed off and the next row up is glued.

i just remembered: i saw it on the website of Kerri Pajutee.

under 'techniques' there was a workshop called 'how to sculpt

and flock realistic animals' or so.

i just had a look at her website but i can't find it there anymore.

maybe someone here has it under their favorites?

I just got myself a non-furred dog for the Newport...but I do plan to try the furred technique someday. I saw where Kerri Pajutee wrote that she took the techniques down and is considering writing a book.