HOM # 40022 Chippendale Straight-Top Highboy

IrishMist

I realize that this a one in a kazillion chance....

Does anyone happen to have the House of Minatures kit # 40022 The Chippendale Straight-Top Highboy? I was putting mine together (at about 3AM!) and discovered that I have 2 of piece #60 and none of #61. These are the outer side pieces of the top part of the drawer sections.

Soooooo.... I was wondering if anyone happened to have a kit with 2 of #61 and would like to swap? Or does anyone have a kit they like to get rid of?

I figure it's worth asking before I get totally desperate!

Carol

It's not too complicated. It has three routed slots that the drawer shelves slot into and the back edge is slotted to accept the back of the piece.

I've called several friends, but no one has a router bit that small. If I can't find a replacement, I may try the smallest sanding wheel on my friend's dremel. Do you think that would work? The slots will not be visible when the piece is complete, so I can set aside my perfectionism and be happy if they just fit!

If you have a thin enough piece of basswood and a sturdy craftknife you can cut the slots using a corkbacked steel straight edge, cut halfway down along the edge and then mount it in a vise and gently use several passes of the knife blade to cut from the side to the bottom of the first cut.

I have a 1/8" router bit I use to cut slots in 1/4" tabletops to accept the stringers, that I got from www.widgetsupply.com , they might also have 1/16" bits.

Another solution is to invest in a small piece of basswood half the thickness of your drawer side, and cut one piece the width of the slot smaller than the other and glue them together so you have the slots/ notches where you need them.

They went out of business several years ago. I was in their Miniature of the Month Club in the late 70's and early 80's. This particular kit was made in 1977.

anyhow... You can only find them on eBay or at places that happen to still have some. Miniatures.com has a limited selection. There was a catalog from HOM that came out 4 times a year, I still have 2 editions of it. They also sold premade furniture, room kits, and accessories.

And I REALLY wish they were still in business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!