help needed with my willow

Hi its been so long since i have been able to do any mini'ing, i started my willow in january and had best intentions to finish it this year but i have been so ill i had surgery in july to insert an icp bolt to measure pressure in my brain (i have hydracephelus) well anyway it went wrong and i ended up with a large blood clot which induced a stroke and left me paralised on my left side and unable to talk. All this was in july and so far i have been lucky enough to regain my speech and use of my left arm/hand and manage to stumble around the place. well like i said i started my willow and had sided it and installed the windows but due to stress depression etc

i ad a tantrum im really embarassed about it i removed the siding and windows but not very succesfully i broke the windows im just wondering if there is any way to replace them and where can i get some that would fit? I have an HBS catologue and was wondering are there any windows in that i could perhaps order to use. could someone please help i have come so far and its all thanks to my dolls house hobby i really dont want to get defeated over replacement windows please help... :p

Hi Rachel, what a dreadful time you have had this year. I hope things start to get beter for you and that you are well enough to get back to enjoying your hobby again.

I can't really help with your question but if you measure the window openings - or the old windows that you took out height, width and depth, you should be able to find something to fit from Maple Street, Minimum World or one of those big suppliers.

I have had good service from this e-bay shop too - they may have something to fit.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Bromley-Art-...634Q2ec0Q2em322

Good luck repairing your willow. I had a bad time with my Garfield earlier this year and at one stage was all for throwing it in the garden pond so I can understand someone taking their frustrations out on a house.

Hugs

Jo

Rachaell, I'm sorry life has been harsh for you lately, but it sounds like you are on the mend now! Don't cha just love the Willow?? I do. It is just the right size house. You could use cardstock, several layers glued together, if necessary, for the desired thickness to cut the window trim out. The plastic packaging that bakery goods come in can be cut to make the window"glass." I would check with an office supply store or hobby shop to see if there are plastic sheets you could use for the glass. I bought my Willow on e bay and the trim is very delicte. Some has disentegrated and I will be using cardstock to fashion new. I understand your "tantrum". While I haven't wanted to do it with the Garfield or the Willow I have had moments when sewing that I have been this close (holding thumb and forfinger a smidgen apart) to tossing my machine out the upstairs window!

I put Houseworks windows in my Willow but had to cut the openings bigger. It's not easy unless you have a good mini saw. I looked for smaller windows but they all would have involved changing the size of the openings. Could you order another set from Greenleaf? I don't know what shipping would cost but I know you can get replacement parts from them.

Thanks for all your help with this

i have some mount board and i think i'll try cutting the windows from that, and if that doesnt work out i'll look into buying them. im curious also about ordering the parts i need from greenleaf so maybe i'll end up doing that i have to get some from somewhere because its really looking sad and bare but then thats my fault taking my frustration out on the poor thing. i'd better get to work on it :)

Rachel-

Sorry to hear about the time you've had...glad to know you are feeling much better. I will keep you in prayer. Hopefully getting back into the minis will lift your spirits and keep you busy! I've been out sick myself (lost 2 weeks of work)...but I've been enjoying being able to read all the posts on here and work on my minis. I've decided that I now want to retire from working...lol.

Is there anyway you can salvage the wood frames from the windows? I messed up my Arthur windows really bad (using hot glue...yikes) but was able to sand the wood parts and keep them. I then found some windows already made...I just had to cut them to the right size. The place I bought them from was called Forever Friends (http://foreverfriendsminis.com/shop/) and they were relatively inexpensive (although you may have to pay for s & h).

Good luck with your windows...

Bre

I always wanted a Willow and wanted to replace the windows too - here's an auction going on right now with the windows I've always wanted. Unfortunately, these windows have been long discontinued, they don't show up too often and when they do, you'll need some deep pockets to get them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-4-HOUSEWORKS-DOLLH...=item5ad4ac3584

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOUSEWORKS-DOLLHOUSE-4...=item4cebdf258c

You would have to recut the openings in your Willow, but I think these would be beautiful replacement windows for the house.

Lol....ok i'll ignore that post but they are gorgeous windows all the same. I have been long wanting a willow crest and a beacon hill but the postage is way too expensive and anyway if im having this much trouble with the willow i'd better scrap my ideas for the other two houses anyway lol... At least im seeing the funny side of things again the past few months have been absolute hell but at least im managing to move around now. there are people far worse off than myself so i should be grateful for what i have. as long as i can build a house kit im ok with that gripe over thanks for all your help

• 2 weeks later...

Rachel, I have made replacement windows with decorative millwork from a hobby store and transparency plastic made for printers. The most horrible thing about having a stroke is that you are trapped inside a body that no longer wants to work properly for you. I'm sure it has felt like forever, but if you just had your stroke in July and you're already talking and using your left extremities again, you have really been bustin' booty with your therapist!

Hi Havanaholly

My body isnt co-operating as i would like my progress on my willow is too slow for my liking lol...but i will get there.

I Was absolutely heartbroken when i came around and found i was unable to speak or move my left arm/hand/leg/foot i always said if anything like that ever happened to me i wouldnt want to be here so truly this was my worst nightmare come true,my op was on 4th july 2009 so i felt like i lost my independance on independance day but i wouldnt accept it and i have been fighting it constantly for the past five months since it happened, i went to see my consultant on thursday andsaw my scans for the first time since it all happened both paul and i were in absolute shock because the clot that happened through the surgery going wrong was humungus it was almost the size of my head so im lucky to be here at all! My determination was my animals and minis lol...i was determined to hold both again im lucky i dont have children because this would have been much harder to deal with.

BUt i have so many kits in boxes and im going to build them lol.... :(:) im not letting this defeat me i love my hobbies and animals and life too much to let it go!! :)

And that, for all you who like to say "Oh, I couldn't/ can't", is just one of my many, mini examples of "Oh, yes, you CAN!!!" Rachel, you are another of my heroes (I'm a retired nurse, so I have an inkling of what you are going through!)

Take a look at my Laurel rehab album to see what I meant about the windows & doors. I found some pretty moldings in a hobby store, as well as some craft sticks, and I have an EZ Cutter, and somewhere in past posts you can do a search to find how-tos to make a gluing jig (you'll have to use "gluing jigs" for your keyword, since the "search" feature won't work with words less than four letters). You'll get just as far taking it in baby steps (and probably easier to maintain your balance, as well!). I really love making windows & doors now.

I love that idea and i'll definately be trying that, I like the fact that the windows look very similar to the willow windows so its not too hard to picture it. Thanks Holly but i really dont want to be anyodies hero (blushing :) )

i just cant let whats happened spoil my enjoyment or whats the point in me still being here im just plodding along quite lierally now.

Thanks for the help with the windows.