Storybook construction questions

Sherry

I'm afraid I'll be asking a zillion questions before I figure out the construction on this, so might as well start a new thread!

First question-I'm about to start the interior trim on the 1st floor and don't want to miss a step. i am going to try the chamois strips for the hinges on the door. I understand that you sandwich the strip between the two layers of the door but which side of the door frame, interior or exterior? I want it to open to the inside as it should, and it seems it would need to be sandwiched between the interior wall and frame-right?

I feel like I am chasing your around the forum. lol I sent you a pm about the coupon not realizing the sale is over already. Sorry about that!

I kind of want to take a long time to do my house because I know I don't have the space to have too many.

The longer the better for this project!

Good to know that, I'll make sure it fits before I paint!

Next question: Is it possible to attach the roof correctly if you cut off those two ears at the apex of the side walls? I don't want them but don't want to cut them off before attaching the roof if I'm going to need them to hold the roof in place. I can cut them off after the roof dries but it would be easier before.

I whacked them off of the Coventry Cottage when I built it, after the dry fit, where I marked the cutting line. I posted somewhere else (I think; I remember doing it, anyway) that when I want a door to open in I hinge it between the interior trim & the inside of the wall, and when I want it to open out I hinge it between the exterior trim & the outside wall. I'll be hinging the rso FF's doors today, if all goes well.

They'd look great on Deb's samurai summer house bash, with the thatch and some minor surgery, but otherwise I agree about the "ears".

As this is my post #30K, I think I may stop being such a blabbermouth and sit back and not hog so much of the Forum's bandwidth.

• 3 weeks later...

Another problem here! The pictures on my copy of the instructions are just gray blobs (a copy of a set of instructions someone emailed me). For the most part, I've just looked at photos of completed houses to figure out what goes where, when I can't tell by reading.

But now I have two pieces and can't for the life of me figure out where they go! They are the right and left roof supports and look kind of like a forked stick-long, with a little y shape on the end. I think they are supposed to support the rear roof, but I can't find them in any of the pictures in the gallery. Can someone tell me, or post a photo of theirs in place, please?? Many thanks!

Hi Sherry,

Funny, I sort of remember having the same issue with the roof supports. I just have one idea, which might be laughable. There are two slots on each side the rear roof; one is for the side wall, as I remember. Is it possible that the supports go in the other one? I gave the house away and tossed the instructions, so I can't be much help, I'm afraid.

As for the roof ears, if they're painted the same color as the ridge trim, they blend right in. I think it turned out nicely on mine (pix in the gallery).