Houston we have a problem...

Ms. Mini

Ok so this is my first time staining a house.. I just started today with the bottom floor of my willowcrest. and for some reason there are 3 very large stops on my floor that will not stain! everything else looks wonderful except these spots! i would take a pic with my digital camera but I let my mom borrow it for the weekend. Anyone have this problem before? Its a 1991 kit, so is it just the wood is old? any sort of tips would be a great help! thank u!

Oops! This sounds painful. I'm assuming this is the actual house floor and not a parquet or other wood add-on. Couple things could be going on here -- It's possibly a glue smear (impossible to stain) or could be a factory oil spot (unlikely, but possible), if the kit was opened previously something could have been splashed on it and even natural oils from your hands can prevent stain from taking.

Someone else might have a more brilliant idea but this is my solution:

Re-sand the entire floor with a fine grit sandpaper (furniture or finishing grade) giving special attention to the spots. Wipe it down with a tack cloth and LIGHTLY stain just the spots. If the stain takes, let the spots dry thoroughly, re-sand, wipe down and apply second coat of stain to the entire floor. This process could take several tries to be successful depending on what exactly caused the spots.

Now, if you find that the spots are still there, you can use an ultra fine coat of wood putty on the spots (just enough to cover ), let it dry thoroughly (at least 24 hours), then sand smooth with the rest of the floor, stain the spots and follow the above directions.

If this doesn't work, could you blame the dog?

im such an idot i just realized what it is. i was testing out this new waterbase sealer a week ago and didnt realize i used this piece of my house! AHH!! any idea how i can remove this? im going to try sanding it right now.

Oh that is a real OOPS! But 'fraid you'll have to do something a lot worse to qualify for the idiot tag.

Don't know of anything that removes sealers -- maybe one of the guys has an idea.

Let me know if the sanding helps -- hopefully the sealer hasn't seeped into the wood fiber. If it has, the wood putty coating would probably be your best bet. Good luck.

I don't know much about removing sealers - I've stripped and refinished full sized furniture before but I'm a lot better at covering up mistakes in mini than I am at actually fixing them. If the floors don't work out you could always cover them in wood. You can buy wood vaneer in rolls or sheets and cover your floor with that. There's always the popsicle sticks you can use but I'm told those work best if you can weigh them down before assembly.. you can also cover your floor with Thin Sticks available at most Walmarts or you can buy the sheets of wood dollhouse flooring which can be a bit pricey but I really love them! Other than that sanding the floor was the only thing I could think of either. I had the same problem in my gypsy caravan (still not completed) - I glued the walls together and had some drips which I wiped off right away. I couldn't see or feel any glue left on the wood but when I went to stain it - I sure could see where the glue had been cause it just wouldn't take the stain there - I decided to live with it :D I wanted an aged look to the caravan anyway anyway :D

-David

So as to check any remedies before you stain again, wipe the timber with a damp rag. You'll see any problems and just have to wait a few minutes for the water to dry off. Quicker than painting and then resanding.

But I think you may have some sanding ahead of you.

Glen

ok so heres an update! so my fiance came home and sanded the area down really good, and poured the stain on the wood and slowly set it in with a rag. and its almost completely fixed! i wish i would have had before and after pictres! figures the one weekend i dont have my camera. hehe. anyways i think its going to be ok. im going to let it dry over night and do another coat tomorrow. thanks for all your advise!

yes mam! haha im getting it back today :D i'll post pics tonight

:D Oops! Didn't mean for that to sound like an order!!! I'll watch for them and I'm glad the dog doesn't have to take the rap for the spots!

Jenny, Sanding will remove the sealer layer. I haven't had any luck with removing glue that way. You can also tint the wood putty with the stain. I'm so glad it's fixed & look forward to the pictures (hint).

i posted 2 pics of my wood flooring. thats all ive gotten up so far in the gallery. but they are there at least :lol: im hoping to find sometime this week to work on the side paneling some more ;)