Intimidated or even scared

lmgervais

Oh, I was trying to be SO good and not respond to this thread, but I just HAD to...

Whyzit you're so scared of "failure"? Failure at what? So it doesn't come out perfect the FIRST time! So what, and who's to know? You calm down, rip it out if you can't repair it and try again or try something else until it looks good, and then you post pictures and smile and tell us all about how many times it took you to get it "just so" and we all applaud. I guarantee that Michelangelo didn't turn out masterpieces the first time, so why should you or I expect to? I have a lot of first efforts that are laughable! In fact, I find that I still do crude work, but I'm consistant and it looks like "MY STYLE", and it can all be played with. And that's what I work to achieve, something someone will want to play with.

You do the best work you can and you will naturally get better with time.

Someone here said what is the root of our problems-I didn't know enough to be scared. That's the truth. The first dollhouse I ever put together was a San Francisco for my DIL. I knew nothing about building dollhouses, just read the instructions and started. It turned out great. Not perfect I'm sure, but looks pretty darn good, because I didn't have enough sense to know it was supposed to be hard! By the time I started my Victoria's farmhouse, I did know, and have stressed out over it sooo much, and it's really easy compared to the SF.

The trick is to remember that this is not brain surgery-you can't kill a dollhouse without a LOT of effort! Just relax and enjoy, that's the point of hobbies!

Holly and Sherry,

I now know that you are both right. I just have this habit of wanting this to turn out perfect the first time, but I am working on changing that frame of mind.

Holly, you gave me confidence before to try new things for my dh's, and I have. I guess that I just needed an extra boost of confidance to try wallpapering. Not even sure if wallpapering was the actual issue - it was just the next step to be done. Now, with the support and help of others here and some DIY sites on the web, I am going forward with trying new things. If they turn out the way I like them - great. If not, I will try and learn how to do it more to my liking.

I also feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one who hesitates for a while before doing something new - makes me feel like part of the family instead of out there somewhere by myself!

Yes, I also have this same feeling. I just feel panicked everytime Im going to start building a new dollhouse. Ive noticed that I have less mistakes and trouble during my build when I calm myself down and control this feeling before beginning.

I also have the added stress of blogging my build so if a disaster occurs, not only will I mess up the dollhouse Im working on but all of my readers will also see it...lol

Oh, well, if you're going to blog about it you're just asking for stress!lol If I were concerned about telling the world about my mistakes I would never have agreed to belong to the building team and blog all my messups & how I coped with them & fixed them or bashed them into something acceptable ("I meant for that to happen!") :rofl:

I wouldn't say I was "scared," I just reached a point where I had reached the end of my current abilities. I spent over a year finding out what kind of round wire to use, how to solder and how to re-wire my woodframed B&B. I knew I would eventually figure it out, but not wanting my first attempt at building a house to turn out wrong (or without lighting) kept me from giving up. The section of the roof where the turret connects with the rest of the house was another area where I wasn't sure how to proceed for a while. By setting it down and not thinking about it I was able to work on it with a fresh view and get it worked out later on.

The wallpapering in my rehab project was also a first. Since it was for a paying customer I knew it had to be done right, so I got a wallpapering lesson from Tina. One thing I've learned over the years is that no matter how good I get, there's always somebody better out there. Fortunately they're usually quite helpful with things like this!