I bought this house from micheals

asherah

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try skinny sticks like people use to put down floors. I buy them at Walmart, but some people say their dollar stores have them. I just made a staircase for my puzzle house using those and a piece of stripwood for the rail. They turned out pretty cute! I tried the spindles on my farmhouse and hated them. I ended up taking them all off and making the stairs that are in it now, from scratch. You can also buy the rails in a bag from Hobby Lobby, which makes it less expensive. I used those for my farmhouse.

Well, my Michael's is serious about clearance! They now have them for $3.19 and the furniture for $1.99! There were two kits and a few furniture left at 12:30 this afternoon. My mom's Michael's in Ashville, NC didn't have any and didn't even know what they were, so I had to go back and get kits for her! :) Not that I minded one bit :welcome: Patio paint was on sale for .99 too, so I got one of each color for my egg carton stones I have just started cutting out for a patio on my regular houses.

I really like the idea of fairy and gnome houses.

I am thinking this fall/winter when the family is together we will set up both kits with lots of materials, paint, etc, and every can work on them as we go thru the holidays. We normally work on 1,000 piece puzzles, but I think this will be more fun, and maybe get the guys in too, as we are working with glue and xacto knives.

Not a bad idea. Just set out some cold brewskis and pizza, and you should get some interesting houses!

Roxxie, the stairs are not hard to make with the skinny sticks and you can cut them with an exacto knife. But since you are building several houses, I really recommend getting one of the mini miter boxes and saws. They make cutting straight lines and mitering corners so much easier!

I have seen those little miter box with a mini saw in Michaels...probaby will be out of them since I want one...lol

Almost done with my shop...worked on the outside all afternoon since we are having t-storms.

I have lots of cracks and gaps but going to leave them for now, some I will just have to learn to live with!

Its a puzzle after all!

I liked your idea, Nan. Stan pretends to not be interested in the least but I caught him looking in the Violet House the other day...tee hee...Wait til I get the bigger house to build! :welcome:

Roxie, your house is looking cute! How is your outside looking?

Well, my oldest DD came to visit today (the one who's previous bedroom became the dollhouse room again!) So she and I worked on her first build! She chose the puzzle with the veranda and we punched it all out and did a dry fit today. She was a little disappointed that the door did not open, so I dug out my tiny Dremel saw, and cut the door out so we can have it open. :) What is the fun of your first house if you can't open the door? We made a frame from the wood scrap surrounding the faux door you are supposed to glue on the wall.

She even figured out the weird roof/wall tabs! So she decided on a wood cabin house theme, so we spend the afternoon scoring the outside and staining the external house parts! Walls are walnut brown, and the porch rails and window frames are cherry stain. Very nice wood indeed! When she comes over next week, we will start gluing.

Does the house with the porch door also need to be cut out? Sorry the weekend is over! :welcome: Back to the grind tomorrow . . .

The mitre box and razor saw come in very handy - but the quickest and easiest way to cut those skinny sticks would be (IMHO) an Easy Cutter. Also known as an EZ Cutter. I bought mine from the local dollhouse store, but I know you can order them online. It cuts through the wood like a knife through butter - just keep your fingers clear of the blades!

Nan, the door on the other house is cut out, but not designed to open. There is a little slot on the floor just inside the door where you glue it. I did that on the gnome house, but on the dwarf house, I am hinging it. Just be sure not to punch out that little slot, or you'll have a hole in the floor!

Nan I do have the Easy Cutter and it works very well for me. I use to cut with a dollar store razor knife and it was very difficult. My Ice Cream shop is almost done I need to take pictures. Of course I keep adding stuff to the Violet House and my little CD houses all the time....never finished! I glued the dang doors shut! My people have to come through the back door! LOL I didn't want to leave the door open in the slot because I didnt want flies to come in and sit on the tables and counter...not good for business! :welcome:

Well, I have all three walls up now. It was tough to get fitted right, had to clean off a few spots of stucco that got inside the gluing area and a couple of beams that were a hair too long. Now I'm ready to stucco the outside, but not sure I want to start on that yet!

Here is a peek at the dwarves' house. The walls are done, beams added, staircase in. There's a better picture of the staircase in my album. No room for a newel post at the bottom, so we'll do without. Egg carton fireplace and if you look closely you can see the paperclip pothanger that sticks out of the mortar inside the fireplace. I have to decide whether to have shutters or not before I start on the inside, so I'm just piddling around right now!

gallery_3692_3334_418444.jpg

Its looking very good! I like the fireplace and the stairs. You are good at doing stair railings. Maybe I should practice on my shop and try and install one.

Here is what I am having trouble with. I did something wrong when I did the peak...now how to fix it?

I tried putting a strip of wood there but it looks funny.

Hi Ho Hi HO...

Last night on the food channel they were making Disney cakes in a competition...one woman did Snow White and the seven dwarfs...very cool!

post-4159-1248714432_thumb.jpg

I'd try moss along the peak, and a bird's nest at the front, underneath the peak. Or you could add stripwood either side of the ridge, as trim, or use the molded corner wood trim, so it covers the whole ridge. Even add shingles, or a bit of gingerbread trim. But if it were me, my first choice would be the moss. :wave:

I know you mentioned it before but it just doesn't seem to fit my building. Its a 1950's Rock and Roll Ice Cream shop...not a house. I should post a pic of the front...lol I may have to make it mossy anyway I can't think what else to do with it. :wave:

Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate any help I can get!

Sherry, I know you are trying to follow the Disney version of the dwarves cottage - but be kind to yourself, and don't worry too much about making it like the "original" - the story was around for centuries before Walt Disney decided to make his movie, and you can do whatever you feel is right for it! I think you've done marvellously!! :wave:

Roxxie, maybe you could affix a signpost to that peak - do a silhouette of a girl in a poodle skirt, or Elvis, or whatever, and the name of the shop - THAT'S what I would do!! (I forgot about the neat interior you've got - :wave: )

The stripwood is a good idea. One on either side and a bamboo skewer in the ditch where they meet, then paint them to match the shingles. It ought to work great.

Rosalind, I don't think I have to stick exactly to it...take a look at all the carving on the wood in Disney's house. Not me! But Shiloh has the movie, has seen the one at D-World (twice), and I want her to have one that is recognizable to her little age group(6). Don't worry, I only do things like this because it's a challenge and makes building more interesting. I'm just not gonna be one to build the same style, the same way, over and over!

Hey no one is as duh as I am about doing stuff here...lol I think you have some great ideas! I will muddle through...I was thinking of how to make a sign. A lot of places in the 50's had over sized attractions on the roofs and outside their businesses like big chickens and where I lived a humougous duck that was a store inside! :wave:

So true! In our town, we have a building with a giant COW on it, and when we were kids, we just called it "The Cow" when referring to it. As an adult, we call it by it's business name, The Carry Dairy, as you don't ever actually go into the store, you pull up, and an employee comes out to find out what you want, and goes it and gets it for you. It costs a little more money, but great when you have napping kids in the car and need to pick up a few items. What about an Ice Cream cone, or sundae, or banana split or something?

When I was a kid, there was a coffeeshop made of the body of an old army AF bomber. I thought it was so cool! A long sign that would run the entire length of that roof apex is a great idea. Just paint the name of the shop on it if nothing else. That would be very appropriate to the age.

I'm still waiting on things to dry here, and bored stiff!