HBS Order Arrived!

Lisa_F

My HBS order arrived today while I was at work!!! Felt like Christmas coming home & seeing a big ole' box sitting on my couch! It's the front-opening Montgomery! I'll have to wait till one of the boys gets home from work to haul it into my room for me. It sure is heavy!

I'm just itching to get started on it - but I have to make myself wait till I get a dollhouse built for my neice. If I start on mine first - she will be waiting an awfully long time to get hers & my goal is to have hers ready for Christmas.

In the meantime, I have to decide whether or not I want to also get the two side additions for this house. I want a huge house with tons of rooms - a very well-to-do victorian family is going to take up residence in this house and they need rooms like libraries, sewing rooms, etc :lol:

The only reason(s) I'm hesitating on ordering the additions is that I can't find a picture of the additions on the house to see how it looks, and I'm not altogether sure I could cut doorways in the additions leading into the main house, I have a hard enough time cutting straight lines on paper - and I've never even tried cutting through something like mdf. And last but not least - it will cost a mini fortune to fill all those rooms with furniture! But I sure am tempted to just go for it & order them!

Has anyone else here ever done this house?

Lisa

I have a hard enough time cutting straight lines on paper -

Yep, I have that problem to--everything just tends to slant. Rulers don't help. DH has to draw my lines or everything will slant downhill. LOL

Yep, I have that problem to--everything just tends to slant. Rulers don't help. DH has to draw my lines or everything will slant downhill. LOL

Not if you tilt your head when you look at them. Watch. <tilting Peggi's head to one side> See? Looks great now!

Deb

I couldn't find any additions for the Montgomery, but I think the 2 story wing and conservatory for the Foxhall (not the Montclair) would look great there. All in all it'd be around 250 bones. Though that's a great house on its own. I'm positive you'll have a tremendous time building it. I say not the Montclair because that addition has a peaked roof, the Monty-gom had a roof closer to the Foxy than the Monty-clair.

Real good toys has the mansard front-opening addition for the Montgomery:

http://www.realgoodtoys.com/index.php?PATH...ollhouse&id=201

only problem is that they don't have a picture of it available :angry: In talking with them though, they told me that the regular mansard addition would be very similar to the one made for the Montgomery.

It's just difficult for me to picture in my head if this is the way I want to go without seeing the actually pieces next to each other.

I still haven't decided whether or not to add onto this house or leave it as is. It's awfully nice just on it's own and it's a fairly large house. I just had my heart set on more rooms! Not sure if the rooms with the stairs in them will have enough room to use them for the rooms I need - the stairs seem like they will take up an awful lot of space.

Lisa

Now we all know why I make so much of mine.

I'm trying to teach myself how to make furnishings & accessories for my house - but so far I'm not very impressed with my endeavors :lol:

When I first joined Small Stuff I thought, "oh, yeah" when I read comments from folks I learned later were mini artisans that they put their early items & failed experiments into attic & yard sale scenes. Now I know why. Scratch building takes time & many mini tries to get acceptable results :lol:

When I first joined Small Stuff I thought, "oh, yeah" when I read comments from folks I learned later were mini artisans that they put their early items & failed experiments into attic & yard sale scenes. Now I know why. Scratch building takes time & many mini tries to get acceptable results :blink:

My scratchbuild of The Betty took about 600 hours to complete. The scrapped stuff went in the bin, including 6 cockpits and an entire rear fuselage. People who've never scratchbult have no idea how difficult it is.

well I dont scratch build...because I do enough kit building to know there is far more involved than I have the skills!

my hat is off to all of those who can make their visions come to reality!

cant wait for photos!

nutti :blink:

well I dont scratch build...because I do enough kit building to know there is far more involved than I have the skills!

Garbage! My mentor is one David Merriman, don't know if he knows he's my mentor, think he does I've told him, but he has given me permission to pass his message along. ANYONE CAN DO THIS! THIS ISN'T ART, IT'S CRAFT!. There is no skill, or talent, involved, it's all about the time you're willing to spend. Scratchbuilding is all about time, research, paper, figuring out angles. Dimensions. Sounds like a lot? It is, but anyone can do it if they're motivated enough. To say 'I can't do it"? You might as well be in a wheelchair if you want to paralyze yourself like that.

ANYONE CAN DO THIS! THIS ISN'T ART, IT'S CRAFT!.
amen!

There is no skill, or talent, involved, it's all about the time you're willing to spend.

You learn the skill and you acquire the talent as you spend the time. Repetition is also a BIG part of it. I guarantee that if I can do it, anyone can!!! If you can bash a kit, you can "scratch-build".

There is no skill, or talent, involved, it's all about the time you're willing to spend. Scratchbuilding is all about time, research, paper, figuring out angles. Dimensions.

well than I dont wanna! :)

I have troubles with the measuring tape...and lets not talk about fractions and how to figure angles...see those are skills....I got other things Id rather spend my time on. thats all ;)

the less time spent on those things the more time spent on what I like to do...BUILD!

now if I could just find an interior decorator I would be set!

dont care for decorating much either!

Nutti -

Wish you lived next door to me. I'm not a builder, but I love to decorate. I love choosing floorings, wall coverings, lighting fixtures and shades, drapes, blinds, fabrics, pictures, ornaments, furniture ..... I even like to match book themes and titles.

-Susanne

ooohhh wont you be my neighbor?

I tried real hard to get Sabrina to come stay with me but she is too busy with her own life....haha what a concept! ;) I soo wanted her to do some decorating but I guess when Im feeling better I will muddle thru same as always!

Susanne, so do I! I love figuring out how I want the house to look, inside & out, as much as building it. My biggest problem is trying to discipline myself not to overdo the interior with clutter!

I know, I have too much clutter right now in my Beacon Hill. My excuse was that I could then thin it down and put some of the furniture in my McKinley. I know deep in my heart that won't happen. I'll want everything to be new for the McKinley.

I've really got to go through some of my stuff. I have cupboards, closets, drawers and boxes filled with minis. I also love to collect pretty storage boxes. Yes, they're filled with mins.

I'm still waiting for my 1:144 Beacon Hill kit to arrive. I ordered before the April 3rd 50% off sale. I should have asked for Fedex. On Monday I got thinking that I might have trouble working on that tiny of a scale without a magnifier. So I placed another order on HBS for the MagEyes. I remembered to request FedEx and the package arrived the next day! Oh well, the micro BH should be here soon.

-Susanne