Electrifying a Roombox

rbytsdy

I have been going round and round about this in my head off and on for months, and I should've posted this question earlier! I have been meaning for some time now to make a library/study roombox, and I want a few working light fixtures in it (desk lamp, table lamp, maybe some wall sconces). No more than a few, though-- much fewer than the number of outlets on the power strips that I see (I think they typically have 12 sockets). I want to use round wire since I had pretty good success with it in the BH.

Using an entire 12-terminal power strip for just a few lighting fixtures seems awfully wasteful, though. Does anyone know of another way, or a smaller strip?

This is what has kept me from starting on it, not figuring this out yet!

Thanks for any ideas...

I have not seen a smaller strip, but they don't cost a lot, like ten I think its the transformer that will cost you .. . You could hide the transformer under the bookshelves, in a lower part. . .

If you only want to put in a few lights, a battery pack might be all you need. 12 volt battery pack costs less than $5.00 plus the cost of 4 AA batteries. I would probably also put in an inline switch, which would be easier than disconnecting the cap from the battery pack.

As usual, I have never done this and using SWAG method.

I would use a little peice of tapewire, with a junction splice and pound-in receptacles. All you do is tape the strip under the house, attach the junction-splice to the tape, and plug in a lead-in wire. The lead-in wire attaches to a small transformer exactely the same as a power bar would. Then you push in your receptacles, in the tape. 1 prong in each color on the tape. They come in packs of 4. After which you just plug-in the fixtures with the supplied cords and plugs on them. It really is just as easy as round wire. The tape eliminates the 12 prong strip. I think this is called a hybrid system. Definitely worth looking into. I don't think power bars come any smaller than 12 holes. Best of luck.