Help with hats???

Quirky

Ok...I am going to try to make some hats for my mother's milinores (spelling I'm sure is wrong sorry) shop (Hat shop..) My problem is I'd love to do some old hats some that had the feathers in them...except I can find anything to use:(:D Does anyone have any suggestions???? Please help!!!

Thanks for the link...some cool stuff on there:):D now i'll have to try the little rose :D

Tackle shops often have sections for fly fishermen who tie their own, with feathers & all sorts of nifty stuff that's great for minis.

now see...how simple was that :D Thanks for the tip!!!! I can't wait to go see what I can find!

Hi Kristen,

If you have any friends who have pet parakeets or who keep finches or canaries the birds naturally shed feathers and you can get some of those (the clean ones) to use in your milnery. I've heard that parakeet and cockatiel feathers can be dyed different colors - here's another link dying feathers

-David

When I did mine I just used the regular feathers you can get at the craft store. I found some at crafts-n-stuff. I just cut the tops off like in the tutorial. I also cut off the individual threads and glued them on one hat. (very time consuming) I know of a source for premade roses also that are less than 1/2 inch wide if you want it.

Thanks you all!!!! I love the links...and since then have found a few more :D:) Now I can't wait to get started!!! And my neighbor even has a pet finch and cockatiel...duh...I never thought of real birds shedded feathers:) just goes to show what a great group this is and how helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakyshaky...I'd love the source for the roses!!!

Did anyone get a look at all the Dura-Craft instruction manuals that seller offers? I wouldn't bid on a Dura-Craft kit from them, my suspiscious nature would assume the instructions have been removed to sell separately.