Removing Old Shingles?

hydroped

Hi All,

Reading about Wendy's Van Buren and looking at mine sitting here so patiently, waiting to be worked on and I realized that not only am I not looking forward to stripping off the old shingles but I have no idea how to begin. I Tried prying some off.. they're glued on really well and they splintered off badly! Any ideas of how to go about removing them without destroying the roof? Or should I try to repair the few I broke off and just live with shingles being done in Verticle rows instead of staggered? ... Or can they be shingled over? Definitely not going to be a fun part of this project.

Help!

-David :)

Depends on the glue used and your access to a power sander, dear. Elmer's white & yellow carpenter's gues respond to the warm water & vinegar treatment, hot glue to a blow-dryer. If that doesn't work, a nice flat chisel followed by a poser sander with a medium coarse-grit paper ought to take it back to bare wood. I can't imagine shingling without staggering rows! How else is the roof supposed to shed water (and that, I thought, was the purpose of having a roof overhead)?

When I had to remove siding strips, water worked for most of it, and the power sander fixed the last stubborn bits. It was messy and took time, though.

If the roof is a simple enough shape, an easier option might be to cut a new roof out (using the old one as a guide) and rip the whole shingled roof off.

You could also use a Q-tip and a lil nail polish remover. The kind that HAS acetone in it.

I works great on crazy type glue. Just try a lil in a non-conspicuous spot to see if it works and doesnt damage. That is just in case a stronger glue was used.

Also try a hair dryer to heat the glue and pry them off.. Hope this helps :)