What is a Rockery?

What is the room, or building,outside I believe,that the Brits call a Rockery? And what goes in it? It sounds awfully cool,I think I need to build one :) Ive read about it in books, but its only described as sort of a place outside, husbands go to get away from their wife and drink whiskey...lol. Please dont say its just like a conservatory,cause hillbilly that I am, I really dont know what a conservatory is either ....

A rockery is the exact same thing as a rock garden. soil with plants and stuff built up around a group of rocks. It aint a building at all. It would be a great addition if you're doing some miniature landscaping though. Can't recall ever seeing a miniature rockery.

You must mean a Rookery. It was a house for crows to roost.

I was looking and couldnt find a picture but a side definition is a dilapidated outbuilding.

I guess I would go there to get snockered if the wife was driving me crazy!

Hi,

I did a quick google search and came up with this :

http://sd.essortment.com/rockery_rwsd.htm

It's a set of instructions for making a full sized Rockery. I didn't find any photos but I didn't do an image search either. Anyway it should help explain what it is I hope. At least it tells how to build a full sized one :) you could always "miniaturize" the instructions using paperclay instead of stones.

-David

Thanks Heidi, it was definetly Rockery, but a Rookery sounds neat too !

Thank you David !That was very helpful! That gave me an idea for landscaping my Haunted House, a Rockery with pet cemetary combined, witches cats and werewolves tombstones ...hmmmm...

Woohoo! Another Haunted house nut YAaaaYY - I love haunted houses - I keep swearing I'm going to make one and still haven't <hmph>.. but I do have my Malva the gypsy lady partially done for my caravan and I'm hoping to make a werewolf (the Lon Cheney version) to go with her hehehe :)

And sorry for going so off topic :p

-David

okay, drove myself a lil nutty trying to find a picture of a rookery. Found explainations but no photos. I guess it is like a tool shed TYPE building. I saw rockery too. Rock garden. Cool! Haunted house. Hey the crows have to have somewhere to sleep after scaring people!

Good Luck!

Well this would be my first haunted house David,so dont know if that raises me to the status of 'haunted house nut', lol.. but its very fun to think about. My house is a Newberg Victorian, I made the siding,very dilapidated from drywall mud. Thats about as far as Ive come. Its always in my thoughts though. Its great to have people to chat about it with :)

Hi Daydream,

Didn't mean to call you a "nut" :o heheh - I'm a bona fide Halloween nut so I'm always hoping others are too :D All I can say is any time you want to chat about haunted, halloween , spooky or quirky miniatures I know there are several here who love em :D including me - as if I needed to say that :lol:

Susanne,

I just got my order of clay in so if I can manage to prioritize.. (the *p* word.. that's almost as bad as the *o* word.. organize :) Ack! ) then I should be able to get her done before too much longer. I hope so because I have a couple of other dolls waiting their turn too :p I'll definitely let you know when I get her completed.. I was so happy with her face before I painted her.. she's still not horrible but now I can really see my mistakes lol :lol: oh well, I keep learning! :)

-David

Since I am from Britiain :o I can confirm that a rockery is a multi level rock garden that usually has alpine plants in it or shrubs.

My mother has a lovely one. :) A rockery I mean. :p