Lighting the dollhouse

AngieC

Hi,

I put lights in my Wizard's Cottage - no wall paper there. What I did was put the tape wire under the house (because I had it on hand and it was quick and easy) and used the hard wire that came attached to the lights inside the house. The wall sconce light bulb had about 6" of wire attached to it - I ran the wire down under the door molding and then through a hole in the floor where I soldered it to teh tape wire - the same thing with the fireplace light only it had a lot more wire so probably could have been run from the second story down even if I'd had a fireplace on the second floor. So basically I just used the molding to hide the wires. I know this wont work for everyone but it's an option if you're going as simple with lights as I did. Otherwise I've heard of making a groove in the wall to run the hardwire along so there's no lump in the finished wall. I think you could probably plaster over it if there isn't going to be any wallpaper - haven't tried it myself through.

-David

you could probably plaster over it if there isn't going to be any wallpaper - haven't tried it myself through

You could put a strip of masking tape over the groove to protect the wires and spread your spackle/ mud over it.

I have heard that some people use posterboard to cover the tape and then paint the posterboard. That way you can remove it if you need to fix something. I have never tried it but I know some of us out there have sucessfully.

I haven't done it yet, but that is what I was planning on doing. Although I was going to use cardstock (because I already have a bunch) and tac the top and corners up with a smidgen or drop of hot glue, since it'll stay (unlike tape over time), but also easy to get off when needed. You can paint or wall paper, or print right onto 8.5x11 cardstock. At least that's the plan so far. I'm still working on the outside!

I haven't done it yet, but that is what I was planning on doing. Although I was going to use cardstock (because I already have a bunch) and tac the top and corners up with a smidgen or drop of hot glue, since it'll stay (unlike tape over time), but also easy to get off when needed. You can paint or wall paper, or print right onto 8.5x11 cardstock. At least that's the plan so far. I'm still working on the outside!

Hi Jamie,

Instead of using a drop of hot glue you might want to try a little dab of mini hold wax first just to see if you like it. It comes off really easy when you want it to but I was really amazed how well it can hold stuff too. The Van Buren I got had all the telephones and pictures put on the walls with Mini-Hold and even some of the banisters and I didn't even know it till I started taking it appart - it held really well! In fact I'm planning to try to use it for a couple pieces of moulding in case the light ever needs to be changed on my wall sconce (I have the wire running under the door molding)

-David