Just horsing around...

Shakyshaky

Hi Melanie,

Breyer makes a line of horses that are close to 1:12 scale I think it's their Classic line - When the movie Sea Biscuit came out they had a 2 pack of Sea Biscuit and War Admiral for.. I think it was 15-20$ for the pair of them. I'm sure they went for more in the model stores but I remember Walmart had them and I was sort of surprised how reasonable they were.. wish I could remember exactly how much they were. Me- I get all my stuff from Thrift shops etc - if you can find them there they should be even cheaper :)

-David

http://www.utterlyhorses.com/

have a look here, they are in the Uk, but I beleive they ship all over the world. their service is great, my daughter collects the pony parade ones, (they are 1/24th) if you look at the classic series there are some very nice ones

we have all sorts of ponies from pony parade range and the classic, in fact I think i am having to build a stable to go on the side on the Laurel for Sara

There are some Breyer wannabes I've seen in the dollar stores (can't remember the brand) I may also have seen at Wal-Mart, also check their clearance section for marked down Breyer sets.

Hi, Breyer 1/12th scale IS the Classic series. They have gorgeous horses, i have one in 1/12th scale and i have another barbie scale....both look incredible! They have a website. I heard you can buy them at Target, but i have never looked. I found both of mine on ebay for 20.00 each plus shipping. Worth the money, the paint job on them looks very pretty and more realistic than some horses i have seen. Marg

I almost forgot - about some of the cheaper breyer knock offs... some of them actually look pretty good and some don't have the greatest paint jobs or faces..but there are some horse resculpting groups.. sort of like the reborning for babydolls and they actually will bash the horses, reposition the legs or head and neck, resculpt them and repaint them - so if you find any with a broken leg but the leg is with it you can reattach it and bash your own horse :)

-David

So I went to Target and found the Breyers. I got two that even came with people and real hair but did not see untill I got home that they are ponies and do not say classic. They are about 7 1/2 inches tall from what I can tell ( I have not opened the box). Would they still work? They were only 12.99. I thought that was pretty good since they came with people too.

So I went to Target and found the Breyers. I got two that even came with people and real hair but did not see untill I got home that they are ponies and do not say classic. They are about 7 1/2 inches tall from what I can tell ( I have not opened the box). Would they still work? They were only 12.99. I thought that was pretty good since they came with people too.

It depends on what you are using them for :) I wanted a breyer for a doll that i want to make...i want to do up on of my 6 inch dolls in a riding habit and place a side saddle on the horse. The first horse i purchased was too big so i can do this same idea with a barbie. It's a gorgeous horse so no point in getting rid of it. The second horse i purchased (the classic) is perfect for the 1/12th scale doll (6 inch). So i can do a diorama for both horses. ;) If you are using it for a 12th scale barn scene, it will most likely be too big. Marg

If you go to allthingsmini, there is actually a forum for scale horses and i cannot remember who the member is, but she is a great resource for information and has posted different websites that you can buy tack and such for your horse!

It is going to be pulling something so I need it to be bigger. I posted at ATM also and am waiting. I know this is a not so smart question but how big do horses get? I know some breeds are bigger than others but just in general?

thumbnail.png

Ok...I worked with Friesains that pulled just about anything you could possibly want...from small carraiges to the full blows coaches...most smaller carraiges were pulled by one or two and the coaches by four in hand. The picture above is not a friesan but a picture to explain height. The tall red line from the hoof to the withers is what you use to measure a horses height and it is done in hands...hands actually equal 4 inches. The friesains I worked with were about 15 (5 feet to the withers) to 18 (6 feet to the withers) hands in height so that can give you an idea of the height..We used the 15 hand guys for the front two in the coach driving and the 18 in the back...obviously the 18 could handle more weight :):) but they were actually on the big side for the breed so...I hope this help a bit and if you have any more horse questions shoot...I've been working, riding and loving them for the past 22 years (started riding when I was 4)...

And here is a picture of my friesians just in case you wanted to see them... (I am in the black habit next to the driver! :p ) And another one just standing :o

kristenandwalt7aq.th.jpg

friesian00087br.th.jpg

I can't see the measuring one. The ones I have measure 7 1/2 inches from the bottom of the hoof to the top of the head with the head striaght up. They are going to be pulling the circus wagon. The circus wagon is 22 inches long so it should probably have four horses but we will just have to wait and see how money and room goes.

I would still love to see the measurement pic if you can get it to work.

That is a beautiful horse. :)

here ya go...I think this will work

ohhh...and what circus wagon??? where did you find that...I'd love to see a picture...and yeah...with it being that big you def. need more than one horse pulling it... :)

post-559-1143912006_thumb.jpg