Very bossy Orchid

caitriona

I know it's great to have a house tell you what it wants to be (my Arthur hasn't been to forthcoming at all so far so I'm hoping it has a huge fit of chattiness before I finish the paint, sand, paint, sand routine!), but my new Orchid is turning out to be a bit of a dictator. It hasn't even arrived yet and already it's decided that it's going to be a cutesy little village dollshouse shop, housing a collection of 1:144 scale houses and furniture downstairs, and with a workshop upstairs for those sensible customers who order their houses fully built.

Unfortunately I previously had no intention of doing anything in a scale smaller than 1/12, but I'm utterly in love with the idea now, and can't resist the temptation! I hate bossy houses... <_<

My Garf has been sending messages telepathically I swear. As it slowly progresses, and it's more than happy to go that way, I seem to know what to do with the next stage. Heck, I even missed step 3 completely, and then find it's for the best, that part goes together better if it's done after step 6.

We need to document Bossy House Syndrome.

My Batrie cottage hid a piece of scrapbook paper today. I swear it! I had planned to paper all three walls of the living room in the same tan-and-red stripe. I was sure I had three pieces of paper. I cut and pasted the first wall, went to cut the second wall -- and discovered there was no third piece of paper. I went through every stack of paper in my work space. No third sheet. And I can't remember where I got it, but it was somewhere inconveniently out of town, so many months ago that there's no guarantee it's still made.

So I gave up and did a completely different paper on the third wall, so that the paper simulates a hefty overmantle for the fireplace.

This evening, I got home, and there was the third piece of paper in plain sight.

We won't even discuss how it rejected four different kitchen papers so that I had to go to Flax Art and blow $25 on art paper. NOW it's cooperating just fine with my efforts to fit the bathroom wallpaper. Why? 'Cause it got what it wanted!

If it's hiding the decor from you, that is one *seriously* bossy house! :)

I was having arguments with the Coventry Cottage over the weekend. I had my plan for the exterior design all sketched out. Does the house agree? Oh noooooooooooooooo. When I started to work on the exterior, it got all stubborn and just stomped it's floorboards and refused to allow me to even put on even one piece. So we sat there and stared at each other for a few hours. I played it some Moody Blues thinking that would settle it's nerves. Lit some candles and incense. Tried some tibetian chants. Nope, not even a hint of mellow out of it.

I finally went and printed out 6 pictures of japanese Edo era architecture. Then I actually showed each picture *to the house*, explaining each one and how it would look. I can't believe I was sitting there holding up pictures-------not along side the house so I could see them---------no, I was holding them up facing away from me for the house to see!! <sigh>

We finally compromised. It agreed that my original plan of a combination of stucco, planking and framing is the traditional style we want to use, but the house changed the placement of each one to what *it* wants them to be. Wanna know the really sad part? I ended up apologizing to the house for wanting to do it any other way. Now it's being complacent and smug about winning the argument.

Deb

This evening, I got home, and there was the third piece of paper in plain sight.

We won't even discuss how it rejected four different kitchen papers so that I had to go to Flax Art and blow $25 on art paper. NOW it's cooperating just fine with my efforts to fit the bathroom wallpaper. Why? 'Cause it got what it wanted!

Turn off the power for a week. That'll learn it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give in. Remember - Tough Love!!!!!!!!!!!

My house is very happy with me, after being "exiled" to the garage (houses dont like this) for over a year, I have finally finished all windows today. Its feeling very warm and cozy this evening protected from the elements, and also from the chubby little fingers of the two year old boy child.

I have another house which took its place on that shelf in the garage, who just the other day whispered to me as I was walking past, that it wished to a haunted house, and not the shabby chic,paris apartment,single girl hangout I had originally planned. This is why I have learned to never never decorate until the building is done, until the house has had a chance to put in its own 2 cents !

Alas, I don't electrify, so the threat is empty. The house obediently took all its wallpaper and most of its floors and ceilings today. It's still resisting on the LR ceiling and LR rug, so I may have to go to Pearl tomorrow. Or try threats, as I really want a green carpet in there.

I have another house which took its place on that shelf in the garage, who just the other day whispered to me as I was walking past, that it wished to a haunted house, and not the shabby chic,paris apartment,single girl hangout I had originally planned.

Yup, they do that. My Haunted House refused to be a haunted house. My half-scale lighthouse keeper's cottage agreed reluctantly to be a rehabbed earthquake cottage, then threw a tantrum and insisted on being rebuilt as a Frenchified tea shop. Maybe it should have a word with your house.

<doubtful look> Well, if you think it'll work, I'll give it a try, but honestly, I think I'll probably suffer more than the house will, what with bruised shins from bumping into things in the dark and the stuff in the fridge going over and it's gonna get cold without the heater running. Couldn't I just put the house in a dark closet for a week instead?

<cackle>

Deb

My Haunted House refused to be a haunted house.

That happened to me with mine, and then someone begged for it before I could take a "finished" picture of it (why there's none from me in the building team gallery).