Question about people in the house, size

Tina

Hi there. I am a total dollhouse novice and know absolutely nothing so bare with me. My friend is getting the Beacon Hill for her daughter's fourth birthday in a few weeks. I have been browsing the topics, and I hope she realizes the commitment that she has made!

I was thinking of getting her daughter a birthday present that would go with the new dollhouse. I have boys so have absolutely no experience with dolls and houses, but my son loves Playmobil. Playmobil makes a great line of people - mamas with babies, high chairs, furniture, etc. I know that that type of thing isn't ideal for such a nice dollhouse, but she is only four. I thought I could get her a few figures and she could play with them just regular, but they might also fit in her dollhouse too. However, I'm not sure what the ideal height for people would be in the dollhouse. Would these be too big or too small? They are approximately 2.95 inches tall.

Aren't these cute? Here is one of a dad working the grill. They also have one of a mom with a baby in a sling that I just love.

http://store.playmobilusa.com/is-bin/INTER...ecial_us&PLS=0#

Thanks for your advice and help! I've already pointed my friend towards these boards. I think they will be very useful to her with her new dollhouse!

Tina

Kent & Jack "What's a doll house?"

Welcome to the community Tina! The playmobil line is great I love there victorian mansion myself LOL. You can also use fisher price items to decorate. I know that the fisher price people are close to the right scale.

It's great of you to do research for your friend and plan on getting her a dollhouse gift for her special day. I know all of us would love to get miniature gifts from friends a family LOL.

Again Welcome to the forum and feel free to have your friend come here too for any help she may need!

Hi Tina and welcome to the world of miniatures! ;)

I haven't build the beacon hill but I believe it's a 1:12 scale house so those figures would be a bit smalll. They'd be just about right for a 1/2" scale house though. Dolls for a 1" scale house vary a lot depending on if they're kids or grown ups - a grown up should be between 5-6" tall it's real simple working with 1" scale it's 1" = 1 foot so a man 6 feet tall would mean his doll would be 6 inches. And you know Breyer makes a line of horses that are just about right too - the Classic size I believe are close to 1" scale. Also I've been hearing about a line of smaller (about 6") disney princess dolls that are just about the right size too - you might check Wallmart or Target and the nice thing about those is they'd be familliar to her because they're disney characters and she could play with them and not worry about damaging them . After all what is a dollhouse if you can't play with it :)

Even though there are lots of adults who have very expensive furniture in their houses.. and I'm slowly joining them :angry: These houses are pretty darn durrable and I've picked up more than one that has been through lots and lots of play and still standing strong! The nice thing about a house like that is - it can be done fairly simply - without adding the expensive extras and as she grows up it can be revamped into a real collectors piece. It can definitely grow with her!

:D David

Hi Tina!

Playmobile is "fat half-scale" (about 1:24 in height but wider in proportion than true scale) -- so the people are way too short for a Beacon Hill or other 1:12 dollhouse. They're also a little sturdy for a typical 1:24 house like the Fairfield. (But addictive, aren't they?)

What I'd do for dollhouse people is something like the plastic Horsman people that show up in mini stores fairly frequently. They're inexpensive and reasonably sturdy, and they come in various ethnicities, ages, and family groupings, so you can represent whatever sort of family you want.

Hello Tina, welcome to the forum! :angry: Although I LOVE Playmobil (You can see my Victorian Playmobil house at my album - I got it at the age of 8) I think that the Playmobil people are definitely a bit too small for the 1:12 Beacon Hill. I would choose the Fisher Price dolls but it depends on the size of the furniture your friend is planning to buy for the Beacon Hill.

Great, thanks for all the replies. Too bad. I really love the Playmobil people. But, they definitely seem much too small. She is very much into Princesses, so maybe those would be good. Actually, she might already have some. I'll have to pass this post along to her mom. The Fisher Price ones seem like they'd be durable, I'll have to do some research into them.

She got a great deal on the house from Overstock.com. As is definitely considering it something that her daughter can play with now and have forever. What a great thing!

Tina

Wow!

Your friend has made a huge commitment buying a Beacon Hill. I started on my Beacon Hill in July/Aug last year and it still isn't complete! :angry:

There is lots of sanding, glueing, clamping and painting involved. You need lots of room, and forget about hiding it from the child before her bday, this house is huge.

But I am 100% sure that any little girl would be in heaven if the could play with the Beacon Hill. :) But it is far from heavenly to construct! ;)

Tina:

There are a few of us who have the Beacon Hill. Attached are my webshot photos, and if you look in the Gallery you'll see more photos of completed Beacon Hill dollhouses. My granddaughters and nieces have often played in my dollhouse, which was built in 1994. I just "put away" some of the more delicate items. The house stands sturdy.

Susanne

Tina:

There are a few of us who have the Beacon Hill. Attached are my webshot photos, and if you look in the Gallery you'll see more photos of completed Beacon Hill dollhouses. My granddaughters and nieces have often played in my dollhouse, which was built in 1994. I just "put away" some of the more delicate items. The house stands sturdy.

Susanne

What a gorgeous house and garden Susanne!