Let's play "Name That Furniture"!

Deb

I scored big on an auction last week and got 11 pieces of black lacquer asian furniture. Wooohoo! The pics weren't that great on the auction site and there was a thought in my mind that it might be Bespaq. It's not, but it's still awesome quality and I'm so happy that I've been dancing since it arrived this morning.

So, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what it might be. There are no maker marks or names on any of the pieces. The wood and lacquer are brittle enough to indicate some age altho the pieces are in mint condition and appear to never have been out of their box. They're hand painted.

The box is the original and the only thing is says on the lid is:

Wooden Mini Furnitures

Art.no 376-722

Made in Shanghai China

Here's some pics of the box and the furniture.

Here's a close up of the bottom of one of the tables:

So what do ya'll think? Anyone ever seen anything like this or know what the origin might be? And would it be too weird for me to sleep with them on my pillow tonight? :D

Deb

The box reminds me of some of the mini furniture I found in a Chinatown shop in SF but I'm unfamiliar with the furniture, which is gorgeous! :D What an awesome find, you lucky girl. As long as you don't roll over on it & break it, of course you can put it on your pillow :p

Great find!

Unfortunately, tracing its origins would require a lot of luck, which I'm not having this morning. There are directories of Chinese factories that make dollhouse furniture for export, but the companies listed there either are not in Shanghai or are making the blocky Ryan's Room kind of furniture. And most of these factories are only a few years old. The problem with Chinese industry is that factories retool to do what there's a demand for, so they make these weird combinations of lines like, "Oh, we make dollhouse miniatures and resin key chains!"

Most Chinese furniture is branded by the exporter (so I'm pretty sure Town Square's stuff is made in China or some other low-cost country, though I didn't find their factory), so the fact that there's no American brand supports Holly's sense that the set was sold in Chinatown or at some other sort of Chinese gift stores.

Wow, even has a gong with a mallet---that is awesome. I'd worry about rolling over on them, but if you feel brave enough--go ahead and sleep with them!

I have no idea what type of furniture it is but it certainly looks like a very nice set and well made, too.

Doe

**muttering in a 'mother hen' fashion** girl's gonna put her eye out or sumfin**

Most Chinese furniture is branded by the exporter (so I'm pretty sure Town Square's stuff is made in China or some other low-cost country, though I didn't find their factory), so the fact that there's no American brand supports Holly's sense that the set was sold in Chinatown or at some other sort of Chinese gift stores.

That sounds logical since there's no product branding on it. <petting the tables> That's okay with me. It can be nameless and that won't stop it from being loved any less. :p I'm thrilled to find anything like it at all. There's just soooooooooo little offered in the way of asian mini decor.

I'm planning a trip to my favorite asian import gift store this weekend to see what they have in the way of minis. (is it a sign you spend too much time in a store when the owner gives you a wedding gift and the buyer shows you the lists to see what you want before they order??) But I may take along a piece and see if they recognize it.........and if they can get anything else like it.

Wow, even has a gong with a mallet

<giggling> Naw, the gong is one I've had around for ages. :p It's going in the garden. I've also got a brass pagoda that I'd like to fit in, but it may just be too big. It's almost two feet tall. Once the house is built, I'll try it and see if it looks right or not.

For the record, I didn't sleep with the furniture on my pillow last night..........but as soon as I got up today, I went in to tell it good morning. :D:p:p:p

Deb

Oh, I think being nameless may be a good thing! It adds to the air of mystery.

Anyone can go into a store and buy Town Square (certainly I do it often enough to prove this point!), and enough cash and patience will get you Bespaq, too -- but you have something that you can't order from Ernie.

Oh, I think being nameless may be a good thing! It adds to the air of mystery.

Anyone can go into a store and buy Town Square (certainly I do it often enough to prove this point!), and enough cash and patience will get you Bespaq, too -- but you have something that you can't order from Ernie.

<big grin> I like the unique things in life. I've never been big on labels or brand names, but I love the things that are unusual and out of the ordinary. <looking over at Bruce> Guess that applies to all aspects of my life. :angry:

So while we're talking about it, I'm curious about other "rare", "unique" or just plain special finds that every one else has. What's the treasure in your collection, where did you find it and why does it speak to you?

Deb

So while we're talking about it, I'm curious about other "rare", "unique" or just plain special finds that every one else has. What's the treasure in your collection, where did you find it and why does it speak to you?

You and I were thinking along just the same lines today! I'm doing a little culling to keep my collection down to the projects that speak to me most, as we have so little space. None are treasures in the dollar-value sense, but they're quirky.

Houses that speak to me:

• The half-scale house my father made when I was three.
  • The quarter-scale house my father made.
  • My Batrie cottage (the brand is so obscure, and I've never confirmed what the rest of their line was).
  • My Perkins cottage from the 1970s (another obscure find).

Most of my favorite furniture is in Nico & Fuzz's shingled Arthur or the pirates' planned McKinley, as Nico & Fuzz got the 1970s eBay finds and the goodies from North Carolina (hi, Linda!), while the pirates get the goodies from Arizona and New Mexico.

I'm not a sentimental person in my real-life, full-sized home -- we have a tiny apartment for all sorts of lifestyle reasons -- so all the sentiment gets shifted to the dollhouse world. And clutter. My dollhouses are incredible cluttered with stuff we bought on trips, stuff I found at dollar stores, stuff that memorializes some part of our lives -- and in our real apartment, I can't stand clutter and tolerate no more than one object per flat surface.

Deb, long ago I had that same table and stools, black with the gilt on them. Probably had some other pieces too. I can't remember if as a young teen I bought it in Chinatown when I went there with my parents to New York, or if I bought it somewhere else.

Hmm, minis I treasure. :angry: I too, have never been one for names or brands either, just stuff that speaks to me or such. Some items I treasure are some of the minis close friends have made me, and definitely minis I had as a child. Two 8 inch Madame Alexander dolls I played with as a child (my dad built the dollhouse Amanda plays with now to accomadate them--) so that too is a treasure. some 3 inch little celluloid dolls I would save up my allowance for each week and buy also--definitely my mini doll emporium and old shelby cottage! ;)

I don't have any special finds. But I know something I would like to do with some special jewlery. I have alot of beautiful gem stones passed down from my grandmother. I would love to build a castle type dollhouse and have the stones set within the walls. Add electricity and watch it glitter.

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhh! Not only is that an excellent idea, but what a wonderful way to showcase your grandmother's gemstones! I'm planning on setting peridot, emerald and citrine chips in the stucco of my upcoming fairy house, but using gemstones and jewelry in a lighted castle would just be breathtaking!

while the pirates get the goodies from Arizona and New Mexico.

Are there pictures of the pirates somewhere that I've missed? Coz I'd surely love to see them! What a novel and intriguing concept!!

definitely minis I had as a child. Two 8 inch Madame Alexander dolls I played with as a child (my dad built the dollhouse Amanda plays with now to accomadate them--) so that too is a treasure. some 3 inch little celluloid dolls I would save up my allowance for each week and buy also

Now those truly are treasures! That's great that you still have them.

Deb