Garfield Foundation

appleofmyeye

Starting out on my first dh, (I might have been a little too ambitious) the Garfield and have 2 big questions.

1)I am following instructions carefully but I am confused by step 2 on the foundation part. Since the intructions clearly say never to glue something until specifically told to do so, when am I to glue the foundation pieces (1-18) together, since step 2 doesn't mention glueing? It goes right on in step3 with porch steps, floor and gussets and instructs glueing there before moving on to the stairs section. :jumping:

2) I have reading conflicting information on what kind of glue to use on foundation. Kit says hot glue. Some say hot glue will get brittle over time. What are you experienced garfield builders using for the foundation? Will i be ok with hot glue? since glue cools rather quickly I'm concerned about the space it takes up between 2 pieces of wood and not having a tight enough fit, is this a problem with using hot glue?

Any help would be great

:jumping:

Starting out on my first dh, (I might have been a little too ambitious) the Garfield and have 2 big questions.

1)I am following instructions carefully but I am confused by step 2 on the foundation part. Since the intructions clearly say never to glue something until specifically told to do so, when am I to glue the foundation pieces (1-18) together, since step 2 doesn't mention glueing? It goes right on in step3 with porch steps, floor and gussets and instructs glueing there before moving on to the stairs section. :D

Though I haven't started my Garfield I have been pouring over the instructions for longer than I want to admit...lol I reread steps in question and IMHO I would glue them in step 2. Seeing as it says "Note: Do this carefully, be sure to keep foundation sitting flat on work surface.)" If it wasn't going to be glued here I wouldn't think there would be such a need for the warning.

2) I have reading conflicting information on what kind of glue to use on foundation. Kit says hot glue. Some say hot glue will get brittle over time. What are you experienced garfield builders using for the foundation? Will i be ok with hot glue? since glue cools rather quickly I'm concerned about the space it takes up between 2 pieces of wood and not having a tight enough fit, is this a problem with using hot glue?

All the hints and tips I've read say DO NOT USE HOT GLUE (except for maybe shingles) no matter what the instructions say. I personally use Elmer's stainable carpenter glue but other's here in the forum use other types with great results too...I just can't attest to anything else because Elmer's is all I've used. Hope this helps :jumping:

Any help would be great

...2 big questions.

1)I am following instructions carefully but I am confused by step 2 on the foundation part. Since the intructions clearly say never to glue something until specifically told to do so, when am I to glue the foundation pieces (1-18) together, since step 2 doesn't mention glueing? It goes right on in step3 with porch steps, floor and gussets and instructs glueing there before moving on to the stairs section.

It sounds like they assume you should glue at Step 2.

2) I have reading conflicting information on what kind of glue to use on foundation. Kit says hot glue. Some say hot glue will get brittle over time. What are you experienced garfield builders using for the foundation? Will i be ok with hot glue? since glue cools rather quickly I'm concerned about the space it takes up between 2 pieces of wood and not having a tight enough fit, is this a problem with using hot glue?...
Back when the instructions were written the glue guns worked at much hotter temps and the glue was formulated to melt at those temps. For an idea of what can happen to a house built with modern-day hot glue here's the "before" picture of the Laurel kit I rehabbed last year:

gallery_8_1103_172797.jpg

gallery_8_1103_130685.jpg

and you can see how it turned out here before I gave it to our Christmas toy drive.

1)I am following instructions carefully but I am confused by step 2 on the foundation part. Since the intructions clearly say never to glue something until specifically told to do so, when am I to glue the foundation pieces (1-18) together, since step 2 doesn't mention glueing? It goes right on in step3 with porch steps, floor and gussets and instructs glueing there before moving on to the stairs section. :jumping:

Any help would be great

The Garfield is a wonderful house! I think I have pictures of my Garfield foundation in my gallery, if you want to check it out. Yes, you should be glueing in step two. My instructions have a (G) there..which indicates GLUE. So glue all that, and then continue.

As for kind of glue -- no, don't use hot glue. The old hot glue that was available when these kits were first produced was a different formulation than what is generally available now. It was much stronger and wouldn't get brittle over time...

which is what can (but not necessarily will) happen with the new stuff. Most of us use some sort of wood glue, like Elmer's Wood Glue for the foundation and other major parts (like glueing on the walls and roofs, but be careful where you use it, because it dries yellow), and something like Aleen's craft glue (which comes in several formulations and which dries clear, for everything else.

It's good you're piecing stuff together first (called "dry fitting" around here) to make sure you know which parts go where...and once you're pretty confident you've got it in place, then glue it! Have fun!