Building the Garfield - Advice Please!

Kristine

Hi,

My Garfield will arrive next week and I would love to hear from those of you who have built one so that I can learn from your... let's call it experiences :lol:

Here are some general questions, but please feel free to add anything you feel will be helpful regarding the construction process:

-- About how long does it take to construct, assuming I am somewhat of a perfectionist?

-- What type of glue is best used for assembly?

-- Does it really require 15 bags of shingles and 12 of siding? What type of siding is good to use (I realize this may be based on personal preference, I am going for a classic look)?

-- What tools will be most helpful?

-- Did you follow the instructions step-by-step or was there a better/easier way to construct the dollhouse?

I plan to blog and take pictures throughout the construction process. I'll post a link to my blog as soon as I have it ready.

Thank you,

Kristine

Hi,

My Garfield will arrive next week and I would love to hear from those of you who have built one so that I can learn from your... let's call it experiences :(

Here are some general questions, but please feel free to add anything you feel will be helpful regarding the construction process:

-- About how long does it take to construct, assuming I am somewhat of a perfectionist?

This is impossible to answer. How many hours each day do you intend to work on it?

Mine took 3 years...but I didn't work on it full time, didn't even work on it every day, and there were weeks..maybe months in there..that I didn't work on it at all. I'm not a perfectionist, and there are still things that need to be done. I don't think a dollhouse is ever "done" -- I'll always find more things to do with it..or things to change. I've gone on to rehab 2 other houses, I'm working on a 3rd house, built two room boxes and a greenhouse, and a few other things along the way...

-- What type of glue is best used for assembly?

DON'T use hot glue..except maybe for when you get to shingles. The new formulations of hot glue seem to get brittle over time, and people have had parts of their house fall off! :lol: Most folks here use white glue of one sort or another. Elmer's wood glue and Aleen's tacky glue seem to top the list, but it's really personal preference after that!

-- Does it really require 15 bags of shingles and 12 of siding? What type of siding is good to use (I realize this may be based on personal preference, I am going for a classic look)?

Yes, it really will take 15 bags of shingles. And if you do go with siding (not necessary, but lots of folks like them), 12 bags.

What tools will be most helpful?

The list is long. Start with a good set of exacto-type knives, a box cutter, a Dremel tool, sandpaper, masking tape (I like blue painters tape), metal ruler or straight-edge...and the list goes on.

-- Did you follow the instructions step-by-step or was there a better/easier way to construct the dollhouse?

I started out following the instructions step-by-step..and then realized that sometimes doing it my way made more sense...or asking about it here to be "talked through" the next steps made more sense. And feel free to modify or adapt (we call it "bashing") if something just doesn't work for you -- so long as it's not a supporting wall or something, you can feel free to re-arrange. I left out one wall entirely, and didn't put on the back dormers, opening up the back end of the house more, so you can see inside.

I plan to blog and take pictures throughout the construction process. I'll post a link to my blog as soon as I have it ready.

Thank you,

Kristine

I can "warn" you of these things: PLAN AHEAD. Tape sections together before you glue them (this is referred to as "dry fitting" here) , so you can see if indeed you'd need to paint or wallpaper before you glue! Some of the 3rd floor is nearly impossible to reach once you've glued the roof in place (the roof forms the ceiling and sloped walls of those rooms). The hallway leading from the back door to the kitchen would require a 5" person to paint or wallpaper, if you didn't do that first! It's much easier to wallpaper the foyer before you put the staircase in place.

Don't hesitate to ask questions! The folks here are real friendly and helpful, and many of them have built many houses, so have lots of hints and helpful tips along the way.

We'll all look forward to seeing your pictures. I think you have to make 5 posts first..then you can open a gallery and show us how you're progressing!

The most used tool I used in the construction was a set of long clamps the best tool I had when I needed a extra hand I also used a good wood glue extra strenth I wanted to hold up to all the use it would get I used balsa wood for the siding it came in 1" strips it took two 36" strip for every corse to go around the house I went through 100 strips and the scallops where tong depressers tips cut, there are over 500 of them I also used for the window trim 1/4" trim and a vriady of molding also craft sticks for the porch deck I used a good paint so it would seal the wood also use a good sealer before you paint or wallpaper it will make the paint smooth and the paper adhere better this house is a big investment don't skimp on your product to put it together. When done right it will last a lifetime.

Hi, Kristine! I haven't built the Garfield (it's as big as my entire RL house!) but I have built a kit or two and kits other than GL/CC.

About how long does it take to construct, assuming I am somewhat of a perfectionist?
Building a dh takes as long as it takes. BTW, YOU don't have to be a perfectionist! Just listen to what the house tells you and do the best you can to give it what it wants and it will be perfect when you finally get there. Ann is absolutely right on, a dh is never "finished".
What type of glue is best used for assembly?
I'm a fan of Probond, but that's because I'm gluing wood to wood and it made sense to my simple mind to use wood glue. That said, I built my first kit, the Dura-Craft San Franciscan with all-purpose tacky glue.
What type of siding is good to use (I realize this may be based on personal preference, I am going for a classic look)?
I am a huge fan of the Greenleaf shingles, siding & flooring, including the tiles; you can look through my albums to see how they look on the houses.
What tools will be most helpful?
My personal knife preference is a heavy-duty box-cutter style utility knife with retractable replacement blades, and LOTS of them, clamps (read my "Quick Tip" in this month's Greenleaf Gazette), a steel straightedge (I love my carpenter's square because I can also check for plumb & use it to square up corners) and, of course, masking tape for the dry-fit.
Did you follow the instructions step-by-step or was there a better/easier way to construct the dollhouse?
When I start to build any kit I wind up reading through the instructions at least three times before I start, so that I have a "feel" for the kit and how it was designed to go together. Then I start to build, and as I finish off a section I cross through it with a pencil. Why? Because I have yet to build a kit in the order of the instructions, or even the same kit twice in the same order. The kit will tell you what it wants, how it wants to look & how it wants you to do it.
Sumaiya and Kathy Calhoun are both building Garfields and blogging them on Sumaiya's blogsite, you may want to check theirs out.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Kristine:

You could check out my blog at smehreen-garfield.blogspot.com which documents the construction of my Garfield. (Thank you Holly for checking out Kathy's and my blogs :xmas_tree:) ... and Kathy's Garfield blog is kathycalhoun.blogspot.com

Love,

Sumaiya.

Yes, Kristine, there are many "ifs" when building the Garfield. I suggest you put the siding and shingles in a box for later; they'll just be in the way. You're a l-o-n-g way from needing them. Thank, Sumaiya for posting my address and you are welcome to e-mail me direct for advice or questions. As I keep saying, I'm building from the inside out, decorating as I go. This house is an interesting thing to put together. You've received some excellent advise from those ahead of me and I don't disagree with any of it, especially the part about patience. This baby won't be done any time soon and will keep you thinking and, sometimes, totally confused. When I feel "lost", I just sit there and stare it until the answer comes to me...and there are many answers. Have fun....that's the important thing.

Kathy