Houseworks Yorktown door question

sdp1234

It seems that my houseworks exterier doors are not the same thickness as the windows? Any ideas why this would be?

I have most of the trim completed in my Georgian Houseworks doll house but I can't figure out how to trim out the Main door. (houseworks 6014)

The way the door is in the hole it will not work with the standard trim. Do Georgian/Yorktown style homes have a special type if trim for the inside of the main door? Does anyone have a picture of theirs?

I will post pictures in a later post when my son finishes the picture

Thanks

Hi & welcome, Steve, and please take a minute to pop in over at the Newcomers' Forum to introduuce yourself to the whole gang! Are you asking about the interior trim on doors of houses in Yorktown? or the Houseworks Yorktown doors made for dhs? Because when we were touring houses in Yorktown, VA, a few years ago the interior trim was just like the interior trim on most of the doors we saw in old houses. Now the windows in those houses were very deep because the interior shutters folded up and sere stored in the window frames.

Here are pictures of the door. I can't use the trim that was used on the windows because if you look you see that there is wood above the door. I'd like to know why the windows install flush with the inside wall for trim but the door is not a deep. I thought maybe they were designed this way for special trim. This is not a b ig deal because I can cut a piece of wood to shim out to the trim. doll1.jpgdoll3.jpg

havanaholly, thanks for the reply.

I actually was asking both questions. If the houseworks Yorktown has speciffic trim for the inside than I'd use it. Since I've not been able to find anything from houseworks than I thought I'd find out what a yorktown interior looks like and build it myself

Oh, heck, Steve, if it was me I'd just go ahead and Google Colonial interiors, particularly Yorktown, and go ahead & make my own door trim. As for the difference in thicknesses, I can't help you. I always make shims when I use Houseworks components in GL & CC houses. BTW, I totally love your wallpapers!

I haven't used the Houseworks doors, but have used ones that look very similar. They came with an interior trim that looked like the inside trim on the windows. You just glue it around the edge, so it overlaps the doorframe and the wall. Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

Steve, you're describing the exterior door trim?

the frame above the door is so much wider than the sides.
I don't recall the interior trim of the Houseworks versions, but when you Google images of Yorktown house interiors I don't recall any of the interior trm looking any much wider at the top. The trim molding overall is wider compared to modern-day door trim, because it's fancier. Grazhina used to have a site with pictures of interiors of homes from diffeerent historical eras, but I no longer see a link to it, and my bookmark is on the old, dead 'puter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve and welcome to the group!

Not sure this will help you, but Hobby Builder's Supply (a.k.a. Ernie's) has door/window trims for Houseworks in different widths. Perhaps you could buy 2 different widths, using the wider one above the door (all 3 trims are exact same style, just diff. widths) You can find them at www.miniatures.com listed under "Components - Casings"

Hope this helps :jump:

I also will be putting a Yorktown door in my Duracraft house, so I might come up on this same issue myself when I get to that point. :doh: I will be interested to see how you "fix" yours.

Good Luck!

Chris