Lily

I've held off putting in the front & back doors, but my next step is to start on the porch and foundation. So for those of you who are much more experienced, would it be easier to put the doors in now before they are covered by a roof adn the porch. Since I've never hung doors, I'm not sure how hard they are to put in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peggi

Hey Peggi! If there is a porch involved, then yes, definitely I would put the doors in before you put the porch on. Do you by chance have any pictures I could view though? I don't know where you are in your progress on this house. Also, I have not built the Lily, but I have built several with porches and made sure that I got the doors and windows in before the porches went on.

Peggy, Go ahead and finish whatever exterior painting, trim, etc on the house & door without the porch, and hang that rascal before adding the porch. I have only built one Corona kit, the Buttercup, but I've built it four times (sold 'em all) and I've used brass hinges twice and chamois hinges twice. I may try pivot pins when I build the next one, but either that (Dura-Craft kit doors are made to hang with a variation of the pivot) or the chamois strips are the best way for me, brass hinges don't like me.

Don't forget pictures!

Linda & Holly Thank you for responding. I've updated my webshots to show where I am now in the process. After dreading the siding for so long, it was tedious but was much easier than I expected. (Even though some are crooked, this house will have to go as an older one that has settled some :D )

I've bought hinges, but really don't know where to start. :blink: I think the Lily instructions imply that you glue the door, but I really want them to open or you won't see the foyer at all.

Any help or feed back would be greatly appreciated. I welcome any comments good or bad on how you think my progress is going.

Step by step directions on hanging doors will be most helpful.

Thanks

Peggi

Nutti: The front will be a pale yellow, and I will probably stain the porch railings and lattice foundations the same color as the window frames. Thanks for the compliment. :blink:

Peggi

Ooh la la! I got a little sidetracked eyeballing that beauty! And I saw your comment about seeing a real house in Macon GA without the siding on the bay! I am so glad to know that I am not alone in that! I start a house, get stuck, and then happen to see a real house which gives me tons of inspiration!

OK, doors. What I do is sand down the interior of the doorway, where the door fits into the house, and then give it an extra sanding, and then another extra sanding. The purpose to that is that the door never fits properly into the doorway, so I make sure I give it extra sanding so that I have a little room.

Has your door been painted? And the siding and everything is the color that you want it to be? If not, you might should do all that before hanging the door.

Is this a door that comes in two parts and then you glue it together? If so, go ahead and get your door prepared, painted, stained, however you want it done, and then sand the edges of the door, all around, where the door is going to fit into the opening, and then give it another sanding, just for good measure. Check the fit and make sure it fits properly (in case you're wondering, my doors never fit properly, so I am a little paranoid about it, LOL!). I then glue the hinges to the door using superglue gel (it stays put and does run), and let that dry. Then I glue the hinges to the door frame on the outside of the house, because the door trim usually covers the hinges.

Anyone else have other ways to hang doors?

As a matter of fact...

Doing the chamois hinges I cut a trip of chamois leather (I get car detailing chamois at Pep Boys) 1/2" wide X 1 1/2" - 2" long & cut the strip int half or thirds. After I have sanded the bejeezis out of the door pieces (I clamp them together & use my Dremel & finish with the sanding block) I paint the inside & the parts of the inside's outside that will show and glue a scant 1/4" of the chamois strip's long edge along the edge of the door I want to hinge, one piece just down from the top, one just up from the bottom, & the third in the middle. blog-8-1142633520_thumb.jpg

I paint the front of the front piece & glue it (when it's dry) to the front of the back piece of the door, making sure all the edges are even. I cover the door "sandwich" with waxed paper, use scrap bits of plywood, and clamp that rascal HARD. (Install any "window" acetate when you glue on the hinges). blog-8-1142633904_thumb.jpg

When it's all nicely dry, lay it in the doorway to check it for fit, sand it again, if necessary, fill the "seam" between the front & back door pieces if you think they need it & sand it again when dry, and paint it. I hang the door by gluing a scant 1/4" of the chamois strips to the edge of the doorway, let the glue dry, painted trim on top and clamp the hoo-ha out of the until it's dry. You door is hung, hopefully fits, and will hang there until some beastie eats the chamois (hasn't happened yet).

HTH

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for the advice about the doors, I've printed off both suggestions and will let my DH help me decide which way may work best for us. (meaning which is easier) :blink:

Also appreciate the compliments on my house. I needed a boost to my moral about now and this helped alot. I've worked hard on it but can see things that could be done better. But it is my first and has been and continues to be a learning experience.

Peggi

Peggi, If you have your heart set on metal hinges ( the little brass ones are cute) very carefully mark where they'll go on both the edge of the door and the edge of the opening where you'll hang them. You will want to file away just enough wood where the hinges will "seat" so the metal surface will be flush with the wooden edge, which theoretically prevents the hinge "binding" so your door will close nicely. You will want to superglue your hinges, do NOT use the little brass nails that come with the hinges, and are for show; the nailheads will NOT seat flush with the door edge and the hinges will bind & interfere with the door. Believe me when I say I know this firsthand (or, why hinges do not like me...). If I EVER use little brass nails again it will be purely decorative!

Holly's right -- skip the brass nails. I used them on the front door to Toad Hall (Glencroft) --- big mistake and much too much work!

Your house is coming along wonderfully!

:blink:

Peggi, I love how the Lily is shaping up! Don't forget to mask off the porch, too, before you paint the siding.

For the pin pivot on the door, I have not yet tried this one, but probably shall try it for the Glencroft to see if it works. As I've seen it in pictures, after you assemble & fit the door into the opening & all the trim is on, you drill a small hole into the top & bottom corners of the door about 1/8" in from the edge you want the "hinge", & drill corresponding holes in the top of the door opening & the base. You then insert a pin (cut the flat top off of a dressmaker's pin & cut it to the length you'll need) in the top hole of the door & insert it into the hole in the top on the opening. Insert the second pin through the floor hole into the bottom hole of the door & seal the floor hole from the bottom (wood putty, whatever). The Houseworks doors are made this way, with the bottom pin going into a threshhold' I found out cutting down interior doors for the Cambridge.

Holly: After reading your instructions on the chamois, I think I will have to try the hinges, cause from what I think I understand the chamois must be put in before the front/back of doors are put together and mine are already put together. But I will keep this method in mine if I ever do another house. (if LOL I already have that log cabin waiting for me.) :blink:

I've printed out the additional hints and advice to study.

Again Thank you all.

Peggi