glue question

sadie

Is this glue supposed to be so runny?

Some people apply their glue with a brush & I usually use a toothpick, although I've been known to use my finger.

If I'm going to stain I stain, if I'm going to spackle or apply siding I seal with clear sanding sealer & if I'm going to paint or paper or do "stone" or "brick" work I prime (with white interior latex paint).

When Greenleaf began making kits the glue sticks were very different, I read somewhere, and mested at a much higher temperature than the ones currently available for most crafts.

1.  I plan on priming it after I glue it all together...do I just use plain old paint primer ?  or just plain old white latex semi-gloss paint?  I do not live in a humid state ...I live in Michigan....only the summers are sometimes humid...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just using Kilz brand primer on the shell. And that is only because that is what I use in my own house and I had a can of it already.

[1.  I plan on priming it after I glue it all together...do I just use plain old paint primer ?  or just plain old white latex semi-gloss paint?  I do not live in a humid state ...I live in Michigan....only the summers are sometimes humid...

2.  After reading some of your ideas of "weighting" things down with heavy books and such...what parts are gonna need that???  Pull joints together??  I'm gonna have to tie stuff down??  oh boy......or am I not that far enough along yet? Or is it little itty bitty parts that need weights, like parts of doors, etc?  I am getting nervous here......!  ..I hope I don't have to take anything apart if I screw up!  I hope to have a lot more glued down by the weekend.....

3.  Is this glue supposed to be so runny? 

Hi Sadie,

I know you've gotten lots of replies and lots of stuff to think about it. Hope I didn't make it worse ;) I've used the books (not too heavy) when I've had a warpage problem that needed to be flattened - specifically the end walls on a house called The Franklin - the house had been begun and then left out in a barn where it had moisture, heat, cold etc.. so it naturally started to warp and needed some "extra" strength to hold it until the glue cured. Normally tape will work just fine to hold the parts in place. They don't need much in the way of force - just some tape to hold them from moving till the glue cures. I only mentioned the wierd things I've used to illustrate that anything can be fixed and that dollhouses are much more sturdy than one would think <_< Just a little painters or masking tape should do you just fine to hold the parts.

As for priming. I've used both Kilz primer and plain white latex paint. I think it depends on your needs. For a new house I've been using latex paint.. however I generally pick up used houses and occasionally I need something stronger like Kilz but again I think it's a personal choice and I've been told that kilz is over kill :blink: (but they didn't see some of the bright colors I'm coverling lol :blink: ).

And is the glue supposed to be runny - some is and some isn't - it depends what kind you like to use. I've bought runny glue and used it and had no problems but I do prefer to use a thicker glue because it doesn't drip so much - and you don't need to use a lot of glue - it just needs to make a bond and more isn't necessarily better. You said you felt like you should be using cement.. I put my Lafeyette together with Tacky Glue - It spent about 8 months in my uninsulated attic going through heat and cold - It's been turned upside down to work on more than a few times - stood on it's side and generally knocked around pretty roughly while I tried to figure out wiring and it's still holding together sold! These houses may seem delicate and like they'll come appart but they really don't (thought I do not suggest people knock their houses around the way I do heheh) . They're much sturdier than they appear to be.

So take a deep cleansing breath, relax, smile and have fun :angry: You're house is gonna turn out great!

-David

Thank you everyone..I will check out the blogs more too...I really appreciate your tips..I promise not to bother anyone ...at least for a week or so...I have to get back to GLUING!! YOWZA! I feel much better!

Sadie, you aren't bothering any one with your questions. Thats why we're all here. Alot of us wern't luckly enough to have this forum to ask questions when we started to build. And we had to learn by trial and error.

So ask any questions you have. And have fun. Thats what it's all about.

terri

And we had to learn by trial and error.

So ask any questions you have. And have fun. Thats what it's all about.

What she said, Sadie. Also remember there is no "oopsie" that cannot be fixed with trim, paint or foamboard! :blink:

Yep - What Terri and Holly said - You're not a bother at all!! Heck I think I lurked for a good six months before I ever started posting here (in my pre house aquiring days)- and I loved reading people's questions because I could learn that way too - heck I still ask questions all the time.. guess you didn't read about my lighting troubles LOL - I sure did feel silly but hey that's what the forum is for - asking questions and getting answers :blink: And even though I made some real simple mistakes I learned a LOT from them! So keep asking those questions! And you can post to let us know how it's going too ;)

-David

• 7 months later...

Okay then, I've read more of the questions and it brings to mind another "silly" quesiton. When building a dollhouse, do you clamp every wall & joint?

The reason I ask is the DH is a carpenter and he said that all joints using yellow carpenters glue need to be clamped for the glue to work correctly. ("That is why you see the cabinet maker on The New Yankee Workshop clamp everything", he said.)

another "silly" quesiton. When building a dollhouse, do you clamp every wall & joint?

I am getting really annoyed by people who insist on using a negative adjective with the word "question! For pity's sake, if you don't know the answer, isn't it "silly/ stupid/ dumb" NOT to ask? <Deb throws a bucket of cold water on me>

Ok, I'm done with my tantrum <towel-drying>. Yes, and I think most of us use masking tape. I began reinforcing mine with heavy-duty staples, too, when I began to build them for children to play with. Now I use the staples for every build, they survive the manhandling much better!