adding a wall

heidiiiii

If anyone knows if this topic is somewhere let me know but I will ask anyhow. As I am painting and looking at the box at the picture of the dollhouse I do not like the fact that the attic is only one long room. Where the staircase hole is up there you are supposed to glue 3 square pieces around it to cover from dh death down the stairs.

It has slanted roofline and I was wondering how I can make a partition and make two rooms. Do I use Basswood? Would I glue it just to the floor? Or should I try to glue to floor and back part of roof (slanted)? I will try to get a good pic with good Pix. so that you can understand what I am talking about later or i will wait till I have the dh completely glued.

I will check out the blogs but if anyone remembers where it might be or how it is titled I would really appreciate it. :):p:D

Heidi, I have succesfully used 1/4" foamboard to bash extra walls. I used it to make a third room in the first Sugarplum kit I built (the lady buying it had three little girls) and since then I've used it to make a false wall for DS#3's atrium http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery_8_8_37337.jpg

and to make a back for the Westville's kitchen closet to put shelves on, as well as the fireplace surround in the kitchen and the privacy wall in the bathroom (pictures in my "houses" gallery & also havanaholly's Team Westville" blog).

Here's what I did with the Sugarplum:

Edited by havanaholly

Thank you so much for the direction. I was reading and jotting down notes. One of the other things I want to thank you for is introducing me to Pearl store. We dont have a good selection of art supplies in our area and the ones that we do are pretty expensive. Ordered catalog. Dd will be pleased. I can see her ordering Gauche (sp?) in her future.

Hi Heidii,

sounds like you've already got this covered. Just thought I'd say that I'd definitely want to glue the room partition in more than one place. Definitely to the floor and wall or floor wall and roof - You can make a pattern out of paper. I just keep fiting and folding and then cut and do over till I get the pattern right then use foamboard as Holly suggested or bass wood (I used Bass wood to make the chimney on my wizards house) cut it according to your paper pattern or if you're at all concerned transfer the paper pattern to cardboard first to you can really get a good test fit - then cut out your foam or wood partition and glue in - I like to use molding where ever possible to give extra hold to the new wall.

-David

Hi Heidi, here is a picture of the wall before and after that I added to the Jefferson so I could have a bathroom in the attic. I used foamcore as well. It makes great dividers and can be painted or papered to look like the other walls.

I papered both sides of my foamcore wall in the Sugarplum & painted the others. I papered/ painted BEFORE installing, and did one side & laid it flat to dry throughly, and then did the other side. In the case of the "L" shaped bathroom wall in the Westville, I glued it together & papered one side & painted the other & let it stand to dry & it dried flat.

Wow! Before I saw the pics I had a feeling that foamboard wouldnt look too good. But you all did a great job.

Thanks for the advice. Any and all are greatly appreciated. :)

I partitioned part of the Fairfield's attic off into another room. The pictures aren't great, but you can see what I did here. (Door still needed another coat of paint when I took the pics, so it looks awful!)

I used balsa that I had lying around, but foamcore would have been fine, too. There's a gap at the bottom but that'll be hidden by crown molding. I haven't decided yet if I'll glue it in permanently or not.