The Pierce rehab project

Lynette Smith

:blink: Three weekends ago I acquired an incomplete Pierce kit at a yardsale for $15. Some of the roof is missing, including the tower, the presumed bay window pieces in the dining room, the porch, one front door, the fireplace(s), all the trim, and a part of the base. I've been trying to secure some instructions to see what I need and what to skip, and a few little mysteries. In the mean while I've stripped off the playscale shingles and siding from a few pieces which had been done, regluing poor joins, sanding, painting a base coat, and fine-tuning a few pices to achieve a better fit.

Now I am getting close to where decisions need to be made. The living room and dining room are separated by the staircase with no formal division. I surmise that these two areas should be done either in the same wallcoverings and flooring, or at least compatable. I was hoping somebody who has done the kit could tell me how they've dealt with the problem. Also, with no instructions (yet) and no photos of what the bay is supposed to look like that opens onto the porch, it makes it tricky to take this into account.

The upstairs is problematic from a realistic point of view. How on earth do I deal with the top of the stairs! :D . Not that it can be seen without being a contortionsist, but I like to do as professional a job as possible (not quite possible on an assembled house). The stairs are not in yet. Also, the room the stairs open into is presumably the master bedroom. Is there supposed to be a fireplace on the wall? I'm going to stick the bed out of the bay and give it some fancy window treatments. Also, I think I'll fill in the attic access panel to maximize decorating potential.

I presume the middle upstairs room is usually treated as a bathroom, but wondered whether it might be moved into the attic. I wanted to put the day nursery up there and a servant's room - its still up in the air. Its hard to visualize the space above the second bedroom on the second floor.

I am going to try my hand at cut-and-pasting some Kate Greenway wallpaper I found in a book for the nursery or child's room.

If anyone has any suggestions on aspects of the Pierce, please let me know. I haven't found many interior pictures to get ideas. I'm keen to start decorating the areas I can. I'm going to do the kitchen in a yellow, blue and white scheme after falling in love with a few pieces of Spode I saw at TJ Maxx!

Note: the photo is a before shot.

Thanks, Lynette

post-3408-1219475059_thumb.jpg

Hi Lynette! The Pierce is a lovely and elegant house. I dug thru my construction photos (hence the dust on the stairs) and found a close up of the dining room bay so you can how it's positioned. I love the little alcove it makes! There are more pics in my gallery in the Pierce album.

post-329-1219496530_thumb.jpg

I chose to use the same wallpaper thru the living room and dining area to give the space a more open and airy look, but using two different papers can be done and the effect is stunning. I didn't use the staircase that came with the kit, but others here have done so with beautiful results. Gina (butterflyex) has some wonderful pictures of her Pierce, including closeups of the second floor stairwell, in her gallery here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&album=1696

There are quite a few Pierce owners here on the forum, so I'm sure you'll get lots more input. I hope that you'll keep us posted with pics of your progress as you bring your Pierce to life.

Deb

Wow! That looks great! I am going to keep the stairway - I like its look. I'm thinking of adding wainscot panelling around the bottem portions to give it a more authentic feel. I have a tapestry weave runner which I will put on the steps. I can't wait to get going - I'm waiting for some money later today so I can run out and get some stain, a mitre box, some mini lumber, a pasta machine to roll fimo (so I can make "ceramic" blue and white tiles for the kitchen), some fabric and Heat n Bond to cover the ceilngs (the fabric resembles those pressed-tin ceilings), and a few other odds and ends.

I'll definitely check out your gallery and the other you mentioned.

Lynette

Heres some pictures that might help. The outside of the bay extention on the dining room to the porch. The outside of the kitchen bedroom bay. the back of the house. As you can tell these are all under construction. I am now ready to put the front porch roof on but I thought these pictures of it unfinished might show you what shape the parts are. I can send you instructions and schematics as soon as I can get them copied. Just pm me your address if you want them. The green with flowers is a picture of the painting I am doing an the bedroom and bath floors. Good luck.

post-2922-1219540370_thumb.jpg

What a deal on your Pierce, Lynette! It's a lovely house.

Check my gallery for some pics. I did the same wallpaper throughout the living/dining room and do like the look of it that way. I squared off the arch in the dining room bay and put in a beautiful fretwork piece from victoriandollhousewoodworks.com.

Someone made a modern Pierce and opened up the kitchen to the dining area - search the gallery for the Pierce and you'll get some great ideas.

I'm still puttering around with details on the first level, but am seriously considering bashing the 2nd floor by making the bathroom (the center room) smaller to make a hallway leading to the top of the stairs somehow. Still not sure if that could ever be at all visible. First I have to get off dead center downstairs!!

If you need Pierce instructions please PM me - I'll be happy to scan them over for you.

I shall be rehabbing a Pierce ASA I finish a couple of other projects, hopefully next year, so I shall watch yours with great interest. I had thought about bashing a wall between the dinigroom & livingroom/ parlor and having a small foyer at the entry.

I removed the walls surrounding the top of the stairs this afternoon. I'm much happier having it open, even it I do have to come up with matching rails!

I put coverings on the kitchen ceiling. I forgot whether there was a barrier between the wall of the bay or not (I'm looking for photos before I take it out). My next stop is to pick up sanding sponges to work on the walls and ceilings. I'll never put together another kit without sanding both sides!

My house is currently sitting upside down. I discovered I didn't have enough fabric to cover the living/dining room ceiling. I'm chomping at the bits to do the wallcoverings, but everything in its proper order forbest results.

Lynette